I like Macaroni Salad anytime and this one couldn't be easier to do. Once you cook the macaroni, just cool it down then get to chopping a few veggies.
Juicy tomato and creamy avocado always go well together, and with the addition of fake crab you have a real winner of a cold salad for a hot day.
I can find tomatoes for less than a dollar per pound, especially smaller Roma and cherry tomatoes. Avocados are frequently on sale at my local Latin market.
Fake crab, or krab, is carried by my local 99c only Stores, but since you only need half a pound for this recipe even regular markets often sell it for $2 to $3 dollars per pound - so it's still a cheap$kate seafood deal.
And pasta is a deal at any grocery store.
So there is no excuse not to make my latest recipe, Macaroni & Krab Salad with Avocado, especially when it's Wife Approved! It travels well, so make plenty to bring to your next pot luck or get-together.
- 12 to 16 ounces of elbow macaroni - small or large elbow.
- 1 cup chopped tomtoes - about 2 to 4 tomatoes, depending on size. You can use any type of tomato even smaller and cheaper Roma or cherry tomatoes.
- 1 cup chopped avocado - about 2 avocados, depending on size. Okay to add less according to your budget.
- 8 ounces fake crab - okay to use more or less to your taste.
- 1 and 1/2 cups of mayo - I used light, but okay to use regular or any type you like. Add as much mayo as you like. May need to add more mayo for larger 16 ounce package of macaroni.
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar - optional. Use white or rice vinegar.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Water - enough to cover and boil dry macaroni.
Add water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add dried elbow macaroni and cook until desired tenderness, about 7 to 10 minutes. Okay to follow macaroni package directions.
After macaroni is tender, drain it and cool macaroni down with cold water -- so the cooking stops before macaroni becomes to mushy.
Add macaroni to a large bowl. Add a teaspoon of vinegar to macaroni.
Add mayo. Mix and taste to see if it's creamy enough for you. Add more mayo if necessary.
Shred and mix in fake krab.
Add chopped tomatoes and avocados. Lightly mix all ingredients. Be careful when mixing, if avocado is very soft. Okay to add avocado last, so you don't smash it up.
Serve right away, or refrigerate for a few hours to chill. Avocado will start to brown the next day, so best to try and finish Macaroni & Krab Salad with Avocado in a couple of days; or just add fresh avocado before each serving.