Monday, September 17, 2018

Loaded Tuna Salad - Video Recipe

I'm called "The Tuna Mouse" at home because of how quickly a Loaded Tuna Salad just seems to vanish!


The extra briny olives give color and the salty taste goes well with sweet bread and butter pickles. Mixed into canned tuna, for a rich flavor, are chopped eggs and mayo.

It's one delicious concoction that fits snuggly into pita bread or bread roll, fills a pitted half slice of ripe avocado, or scooped on a green salad. I find all the ingredients easily at 99c only Stores and the Dollar Tree!

Click on any photo to see larger.

The addition of green olives makes this Loaded Tuna Salad extra unique. It's quite easy to find them at my local 99c only Store and Dollar Tree markets. You can use the plain type or ones with pimentoes.


Eggs are still cheap these days, I get an eight-count container at my local Dollar Tree. I use one whole-boiled egg, chopped. This ingredient is optional and okay to leave out.


You can use a little chopped pickle, or just go with pickle relish, which I always have a half-used jar left over from hot dogs, way back on a refrigerator shelf.


I also add finely chopped onion to my Loaded Tuna Salad but leave it out if you don't care for the taste of raw onion.

Mustard and Mayo are cheap if you have a Dollar Tree or 99c only Store in the 'hood. Hey, even Grey Poupon shows up on my 99c only Store shelves every once in a while. Okay to use any favorite mayo, including Miracle Whip or vegan mayo.


The main ingredient, canned tuna, is a cheap$kate staple in my kitchen pantry. I usually get "Chunk Light" tuna in water. I use two small cans for this recipe. "Solid" canned tuna is more expensive because it is a solid hunk of tuna and almost twice as much the amount as "Chunk."


Make sure not to mistakenly get tuna in oil, unless you like it that way. Also, drain the tuna of water, so Tuna Salad doesn't get all soggy and mushy.

The basic recipe is good for other canned fish like salmon, or chicken, too. So get out the can opener and twist off a few condiment jar lids and mix up my tasty and Loaded Tuna Salad.
Loaded Tuna Salad - VIDEO

Play here, video runs 1 minute 36 seconds

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

Ingredients
  • 1 can of solid Tuna in Water - about 6 ounces drained, or 2 cans of "chunk" tuna, drained.
  • 1 boiled Egg - peeled and chopped.
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped Onion.
  • 1 tablespoon Green Olives chopped or sliced - with or without pimento.
  • 1 tablespoon Sweet Pickle Relish - okay to use chopped pickle.
  • 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise - add more or less to your taste.
  • 1 teaspoon regular Yellow Mustard or Dijon Mustard
  • Salt and Pepper to taste - I find canned tuna salty enough, so I usually leave out the salt.


Directions
Boil an egg for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool then peel it.


 Fine-chop onion. Roughly chop green olives and a pickle (if you don't have pickle relish.


To a bowl add drained tuna, along with peeled and chopped boiled egg, chopped pickle (relish,) green olives, and onion.


Add one tablespoon of mayo at a time to reach the desired creaminess. Mix all the ingredients and taste. 

I like a little black pepper to season my Loaded Tuna Salad. I find there is enough salt in canned tuna. 


Serve in a pita or regular bread. Delicious as an appetizer with crackers or add a scoop to an avocado half, or fave salad.


How about a Loaded Tuna Melt? Just add a slice of cheese to the Tuna Sandwich, and brown it with melted butter in a stovetop pan, just like you would a regular Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

It's okay to leave out some Loaded Tuna Salad ingredients. The main ones are tuna, mayo, black pepper, and pickle relish.

A lazy bones shortcut.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...