Monday, February 17, 2014

Free Fish - - Sushi Video Series

Some people have all the luck. Well I don't, but sometimes a small portion comes my way, doled-out in the form of vacuum-sealed packages of raw tuna...for free!


I know it may sound too good to be true, but my neighbor Don joins a group for deep sea fishing every year, off the coast of Baja, Mexico, for bluefin (maguro) and yellowtail (hamachi) tuna. After a successful fishing trip, he'll knock on my door and say: "Come on over with an empty bag, we had a good catch this time." And he hands out 4 or 5 of the most beautiful vacuumed packages of fresh caught tuna -- for free!

 
 Just check out the video below to see what I mean.

 Free Fish from Don - VIDEO

Play it here, video runs 1 minute, 22 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

Fish is the most expensive protein (click here to see some sushi grade fish from a downtown Los Angeles seafood market.) And now you know why I can do this Sushi Video Series on the cheap. Of course, I know many of you cannot get free freshly caught fish, so I have some sushi recipes using less expensive ingredients -- that anyone can afford.


For example, the popular California Roll is made with crab, cucumber, avocado, rice, and wrapped in dried seaweed. The two expensive ingredients are crab and seaweed. Well, for my recipe I use fake crab, or krab. I like krab and have used it on other recipes (click here to see my delicious Ceviche recipe.) I often find small half pound frozen packages of krab for around a dollar. And from one package of krab you can easily make half a dozen California Sushi Rolls!


And dried seaweed is about $2 per package in Little Tokyo (downtown Los Angeles.) If you have an oriental market in your city, then it can be had for a bargain price - another reason to frequent your local ethnic grocery stores. Even at $2 for 10 sheets, that's still only 20 cents per sheet. And I can find 30 sheets of seaweed for $2.49, so that's less than 10 cents per sheet!


I also like vegetarian sushi, and you know how cheap veggies are. I came up with a tender and flavorful Nigiri Carrot Sushi recipe, made by steaming thick carrot slices in white wine. I also made sushi with earthy mushroom slices. It's a delicious and colorful way to make affordable sushi.


So if you have any favors to cash-in from a fisherman friend, (or if fresh fish comes on sale at your local grocery store) keep checking out my Cheap$kate Sushi Video Series and see the recipes I've come up with, that everyone can afford to do. And remember, it pays to befriend your neighbors!

1 comment:

Carmen said...

Glad I found you! Our store in Phoenix has had seaweed wraps for a few weeks, you might have a look around your store. Also a breakfast thought: 8" pan, spread 1 pkg FJ Sausage and bake 15 min @ 400. Pour off grease, flip and bake for another 8 min. Scramble 4 eggs, bake in same pan you took sausage from at 375 for 15 min. Top with American cheese last 5 min. Cut to fit slider buns and BREAKFAST SLIDERS! I used a little Rotelle w/ jalapenos in my scramble and they were VERY TASTY! Thanks, cb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...