Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Delicatessen Coleslaw

I like coleslaw on my deli sandwiches. It adds a cool crunch to a sliced stack of cured protein between rye bread. And deli's know how to make a great coleslaw.

I grew up eating Southern style Slaw -- super creamy from all the extra mayo. A Deli Coleslaw uses half the amount of mayo, and it's the better for it. They also add a little olive oil and vinegar, with a hint of sugar. It's lighter that way, but still luscious.

Last week I showed you how to make Homemade Deli-Style Corned Beef here, and now you will have the perfect accompaniment -- cool Delicatessen Coleslaw on the side, or load it into any favorite sandwich.


Cabbage is always cheap, I got mine on sale during St. Patrick's holiday week. For my recipe I used 1/2 a head, but you can easily double the recipe ingredients to use it all. (I boiled the other half  - adding a couple cups of broth from my Homemade Corned Beef recipe.)

If you want a simpler typical Coleslaw, the ingredient list is even shorter, just cabbage, black pepper and mayo.

My Delicatessen Coleslaw is perfect for your next sandwich (it doesn't have to be Corned Beef) or as a light side. It's wife approved, so I know you will like it.


Ingredients (3 - 4 servings as a side - many more for sandwiches)
  • 1 carrot - peeled and shredded. Okay to use 1 cup pre-shredded. I used small peeled carrots with my metal box grater (large-course shredding side.)
  • 1/2 white cabbage - shredded. I used the mandolin slicing side. Okay to slice by hand.
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise - light or regular strength.
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil - or good tasting vegetable oil.
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar - white, rice or cider.
  • 1/2 packet of sugar substitute - Optional. Okay to use 1 teaspoon regular sugar or your favorite sweetener.
  • Black Pepper - I add salt when serving. Adding salt causes cabbage to sweat and that breaks down the mayo, so best not to use any salt. Okay to sprinkle on a little salt over each serving though.


    Directions
    Shred or fine chop 1 carrot. I used the largest shredding hole side. Shred or fine chop 1/2 head of cabbage (cut out tough stalk end, and discard.)  I used the mandolin slicing-blade side of my metal veggie shredder.

    Add shredded cabbage and carrot to a large bowl. Of course, be careful using a box shredder - it's easy to take off a fingertip! When you have just a sliver of carrot or cabbage left, chop it up with a knife.


    Add mayo, oil, vinegar and sweetener. Season with pepper to taste and mix well.


    Cover and refrigerate for an hour, or go ahead and serve at room temperature.

    Hindsight
    You might as well use a whole head of cabbage - just double all the other ingredients. This recipe is so good that you won't have much leftovers anyway.

    I first tried the recipe without sugar - that first bite was too sour because of the vinegar, so I added a small amount of sugar to take the edge off. You can make my Deli Coleslaw without sugar as well, or add as little as you want.

    For a lighter slaw use one tablespoon of olive oil, instead of two. You can also add more mayo for a creamier version -- try an extra tablespoon.

    Each day the Coleslaw is in the refrigerator, the mayo will breakdown some and become watery. You can drain liquid from Coleslaw and add a tablespoon of mayo at a time, to bring back desired creaminess.

    And remember not to add salt to Coleslaw or it will break down the mayo and it will be watery. If you want salt then add it when serving.

    The simplest easy Coleslaw is just cabbage, black pepper and mayo, that's it.

    2 comments:

    Ammie said...

    best thing on a deli sandwich, for sure. great post!

    empress said...

    This is a standard recipe that is so easy. I add caraway seeds for some bite :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...