Friday, May 21, 2010

Billionaire's Crab Omelet

The Chef woke up in a decadent and lavish frame of mind --
thanks to 99.99 cent (okay $1) six ounce cans of Pink Crab from Chicken of the Sea, on sale at my local 99c only Store. I'm starting the day living large like combed-over real estate mogul Donald Trump.

Next to lobster, crab is the crown jewel of pricey seafood.

Those million dollar, bloated bonus-sucking, NYC Wall Street fat cats would be green with envy if they saw me digging into this Billionaire's Crab Omelet, which could be served at One Central Park West's Michelin 3-Star tony French restaurant Jean George (located in the Trump International Hotel, of course).


Although from a can, this crab is a tinned Tiffany seafood bauble that any working stiff can afford. (You don't even need a million dollar line of credit, like Newt and Callista Gingrich, from the famed NYC jewelry emporium!) Drained and folded into an omelet, and combined with another 99c only store favorite, Mexican Queso Fresco cheese, is one of the best ways to use it.

Yesterday I tried a Maryland Crab Cake recipe that did not work - this crab is too shredded to combine with crumbled crackers (you need real lump crab for that). Sometimes a recipe using budget ingredients crashes like a junk-bond derivative, but I managed a credit swap and cashed out in time, with my golden parachute of a breakfast windfall !

The only trick, with this dollar store staple, is to make sure the canned crab is well drained. I squeezed out most of the water, then set out a couple of tablespoons, piled high on a small plate, to drain again. The six-ounce can holds enough crab for three or four omelets; I've had two this week, so far. You can use your favorite omelet recipe - just add a couple of tablespoons of crab for my lavish Billionaire's Crab Omelet.

Ingredients
  • One 6-ounce can of crab - a smaller can is fine to make fewer omelets. Make sure to drain.
  • 2 - 3 eggs per omelet - depending on egg size.
  • 1 tsp. of oil, or oil spray your omelet pan.
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Other optional ingredients include: cheese (queso fresco), cooked spinach, mushrooms, bell pepper, bacon, sun-dried tomato, etc.

Directions
Drain crab meat, and  cook any favorite extra omelet ingredients (like spinach, mushrooms, bacon, cubed ham, etc.) I lightly beat 2-3 eggs in a bowl and add to a greased hot omelet pan. When egg is half cooked - the bottom is firm and the top is still wet - I add drained crab and crumbled cheese, or any extras you like, to half of the omelet. 



I fold the omelet when it is almost done; it seems easier to work with that way. Omelet should be firm along the edges with a slight amount of liquid egg in the middle. Gently loosen cooked bottom of the omelet with your spatula. Fold omelet in half. Make a couple of small slits in omelet so excess liquid (from heating crab) will drain out. Cook another minute or two, depending on how "dry" you like the inside of your omelet.

6 comments:

Rochelle R. said...

I bought a can the other day when I went to check on the Kraft fat-free mayo. I was going to try a crab cake so thanks for the heads up. I like omelets so I will try that instead.

99 Cent Chef said...

hi Rochelle, you might try a crab cake, just half the breadcrumb or cracker amount?

kc_froglady said...

OMGosh this looks soooo good! I will have to pick up a can if I see it the next time I am at the $1 store!

admin said...

I love the idea! Nice thing you shared it. I will pick up lots of cans!
dining room set

Jo P said...

Hey, this sounds good. I also like the write-up. I'll try it and let you know.

Unknown said...

RE: " I'm starting the day living large like combed-over real estate mogul Donald Trump"...whodda guessed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...