Sunday, February 25, 2018

Best Avocado Toast - Recipe Video

Here's one way to start your day: Avocado Toast. Check out my recipe video below to see how quick and easy it is to make.

Avocado Toast - Video

Play it here. Video runs 58 seconds.

You can also have Avocado Toast for a light lunch or as a snack anytime of day. If you eat out in LA it's de rigueur, and fast becoming cliché in menus all over town. But good is good, and it's the right price for this Cheap$kate Gourmand.

I make my creamy and crunchy Avocado Toast simply, just mash ripe avocado and add salt and pepper. When a couple slices of bread are toasted and warm, I slather on the avocado - that's it.

Sometimes I don't even mash them in a bowl, I just scoop out some ripe avocado and smear it right on the toast, without salt or pepper.


You can dress it up with smokey crumbled bacon, a runny fried egg, chopped tomato, sliced cucumber, fruit, sauteed veggies -- the additions go on and on, just Google Avocado Toast sometime.

I am lucky to live in the Avocado Capital City of America. We get them year around. Well, I'm sure some other California cities would make the same claim. One extra source in Los Angeles are a plethora of Latin grocery stores that stock avocados from Mexico..



And we get them cheap here is Los Angeles. I like to use smaller ones, just because I hate waste, and a small size is perfect for a serving or two.

And the creamiest and richest avocado, the Haas, was first grafted from a single tree here in La Habra Heights in Los Angeles county almost 100 years ago. Read about the origin story here or a shorter version here.

I've been burned many times picking out avocados. Smooth skin types are not as rich and creamy as the bumpy skin Haas Avocado, but I will take any type rather than go without.


An avocado is ripe when slightly soft to the touch. Mushy brown spots are a warning. You never know if the flesh will be stringy and bland, or soft and rich.  But most times it all works out. Click here for a few tips on when an avocado is ready to eat.

I like to use bread with flavor for my Avocado Toast. Since avocados are expensive for most of us, you might as well splurge on the bread, too. If you have a favorite baker, give them a visit. Or stroll through the bread section of your local grocery and try a pungent sourdough, nutty multi-grain, or local specialty.


One small avocado, when mashed, is enough for two slices of Avocado Toast. To spread the joy at a party, set out a bowl of mashed avocado with your fave crackers or toasted bread pieces and let your guest help themselves. Avocado removed from the skin will begin to turn brown quickly, but I bet your guest won't let that happen - just stand back and watch it quickly disappear.


You might as well get in line with  hipster diners who have made Avocado Toast the most popular of appetizers in Los Angeles eateries.  Go ahead, join us, this is one foodie trend that deserves to keep on, keepin' on.


Ingredients (2 servings)
  • 1 small ripe avocado - I find that a small avocado will be enough for a couple of servings
  • 2-4 slices of bread - toasted. I used sourdough. Okay to use any favorite bread including wheat and multigrain. How much bread you use depends how much avocado you spread on each slice.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

Directions
Simple as can be. Start toasting a couple slices of bread.


Just slice avocado in half and remove seed.


Scoop out ripe avocado flesh into a bowl and mash. You can mash until creamy or keep it chunky.


Salt and pepper to taste.


For a single serving I use half an avocado. I leave the seed in the unused avocado half, cover it with the leftover avocado peel and store it in the refrigerator. Refrigerated, it  will last a few days.

Sometimes I just scoop out avocado flesh and smear it right on the toast.


My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

3 comments:

yardsailor said...

Try with some pesto on top, so good, even jarred pesto.

99 Cent Chef said...

Thanks yardsailor, tasty tip ;-p

Anonymous said...

That's a source of protein. I like avocado toasts as it boosts energy for the whole day. Try avocado toast with fried vegetables, that's delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...