Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mom's 99 Cent Jambalaya - Video Short

To add tomato or not to add tomato, that is the question when making this classic Louisiana dish, Jambalaya. This Chef attended high school in the "Jambalaya Capitol of the World" -- Gonzales, Louisiana; so I have an answer - no tomato! However, if you order it from the Gumbo Pot at the Farmers Market here in Los Angeles, you will find it loaded with tomato and quite soupy, big city New Orleans style (a recipe that Mr."Throw down" Bobby Flay lost with) -- the exact opposite from what I had in my small town high school cafeteria. Don't get me wrong, I like the Gumbo Pot's Jambalaya and they make a great Oyster Po' Boy sandwich, but I prefer Jambalaya dry, sans tomato.

Each spring I would attend the annual Jambalaya Festival in Gonzales, where large cast iron pots would line main street with locals competing for the Best Jambalaya Recipe. When Cajuns have a street party, food is the central attraction. Jambalaya is a minimalist creation of rice and any meat. The trick, to quote my Mom: "is in the browning of the meat."



 The Chef cruelly forced his Mom to use 99c only Store sausage instead of a Cajun specialty - Andouille sausage; while the other ingredients went over well with her - chicken from Bodega Ranch Market, meaty pork shoulder ribs from Albertson's (little to no bone in these ribs!) and finally, rice, onion and Cajun seasonings from my local 99c only Store.
The Chef is pleased to present a video of my
"Mom's Jambalaya"

Play it here. The video runs 6 minutes 23 seconds.

Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 pound each, pork, chicken and sausage (or any combination - chicken jambalaya is delish on its own)
  • 1 onion choppped
  • 2 cloves garlic or 2 tablespoons of 99 cent garlic powder
  • 2 cups rice
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon of oil for browning meat
  • 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning (readily found at 99c only Stores)
  • Pepper to taste (add salt if you do not have cajun seasoning)

Directions
Add oil and saute meat over medium heat in a large cast iron pot (any pot really - should hold at least 12 cups) until very brown for about 30 minutes; add sausage toward the end because it browns quickly. (And take out pork and chicken if too crowded for sausage.) Remove meat and add chopped onion, cajun seasonings, pepper and saute until tender. Add garlic during the last couple of minutes.

 
Add water, cover and cook all meat at low boil for about 45 minutes. Add rice and cook for about 20 minutes more (according to rice package directions. 


After rice is done, stir meat and rice, cover again, turn off heat and let stand for 15 minutes more while you have a glass of wine and set the table. Jambalaya freezes, and reheats with a microwave nicely. It's a dish that tastes better the next day.


I love you Mom!

99 Thanks to Amy and Pete Handelman for their camerawork.
 

To view or embed the Chef's video from youtube click here.

8 comments:

J. Lee said...

I love your blog! I'm a single mom who loves gourmet and this is my new favorite site!

TJ said...

I grew up in Louisiana and I like my jambalaya without tomatoes too.

B.Keene said...

I'm living in Gonzales,La. and am proud to say this is the most authenic Jambalaya there is.After all we are the Jambalaya capitol of the world!!! Cute Mom,she steals the show.Look out Jay Leno's cookie lady!!!

pat said...

sounds delicious..you should get about 2,000 comments, since MSN just wrote about your blog in a column.... Good luck!!!

Edamame said...

All dishes look very delicious. I am interested in the food culture of your country. And I support your site. If there is time, please come in my site.
From Japan
http://food-soybean.blogspot.com/

Georgia said...

Love this post! So cute!!!

Tootsie said...

Hello, my name is Tootsie Gonzales and the picture you have of the two cooks on your website is me and my helper, Jamie Rye. I am the wife of Mike Gonzales, 2006 jambalaya champ. I was his helper when he won the contest. Check out our website at jambalayafestival.org. Just happened to see your website, pretty cool. I will be cooking against my husband and all the other guys in 2009. Plan to become the 1st woman jambalaya champ!!

The Dude of Food said...

Love the creative menus.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...