Monday, February 9, 2009

Pita Pizza -- With Clams & Artichoke Hearts

Pita Pizzas are soon to be a 99 Cent Chef budget classic. Having lived in or around various Armenian/Russian/Middle Eastern enclaves around town, frequenting East Hollywood's Little Armenia mom and pop delis and the neighborhood shish kabob shops of Glendale, this Chef has grown to love the versatile pocket pita.

They stuff nicely with your favorite tuna, chicken or egg salad; they are indispensable when tearing apart a roasted bird from Zankou Chicken; and are now the platform for the Chef's new culinary creation -- Pita Pizza.


Use pita bread rounds topped with tomato sauce, cheese, clams and artichoke hearts for fast and delicious mini-pizzas. If you like thin crust pizzas, high-heat baked pita bread makes a lightweight crunchy cracker-tasting crust for pizza toppings.

The 99 Cent Chef likes to mix it up with his toppings, adding anything from marinated jars of sun-dried tomatoes, black olives, artichoke hearts, roasted/sauteed zucchini, and eggplant, to Genoa salami, Italian sausage, cheese, a fried egg - and even chopped clams.

The Chef's first seafood-topped pizza was from a small side-street restaurant during a Rome, Italy vacation. Some may blanch when served calamari, clams and shrimp on a pizza, but how can you resist when it's paired with melted mozzarella and artichoke hearts?

The Chef simplifies things by using a 99.99 cent can of chopped clams. One can is enough for three small individual pita pizzas; all other ingredients are often found in local 99c only Stores, including pita bread (although regular local markets often have sales on canned minced clams and shredded mozzarella.

And pita bread is reasonably priced), you get eight pitas per package - talk about a great deal! These pita pizzas are delish with or without clams - make it your own by adding any favorite topping.

These budget pizzas are easy to make and are perfect for a party, or as a late-night cramming snack for all you overextended, financially strapped college students. All you need is a dorm buddy with a toaster oven!

Ingredients (for 3 pita pizzas)
  • 3 pita bread rounds
  • 1 can minced or chopped clams (6.5 oz.)
  • 1 package shredded mozzarella (4 oz.)
  • 3 tbsp. dried parmesan cheese (optional)
  • 1 small 8 oz. can of tomato sauce or your favorite pasta sauce.
  • 1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts (6oz.) in oil or water
  • 3 tbsp. of 99.99 cent olive oil blend
  • 1 tsp. dried herbs including - parsley, oregano and sage (a pinch per pita)
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Layout 3 pita rounds and top each with 3 tbsp. of tomato sauce and a small pinch of dried herbs, then cover with a layer of mozzarella cheese. 


Drain artichoke heart and minced clams; evenly distribute over pita pizzas and add a sprinkle of dried parmesan cheese. Finish with a drizzle (about a tbsp.) of olive oil. 

Bake about 10 minutes -- cheese will melt, while the pita edge becomes crisp and just starts to brown.
And don't forget to mix it up with different toppings for a party. Just set out a plate of salami, cheese, cooked sausage, tomato sauce, olives, and any other favorites.

7 comments:

Chris said...

This pita pizza idea is seriously cool! I'm linking to it from my blog at http://www.mybudgetkitchen.com. This is really versatile. You could even open up the pitas and go Chicago style!

Robin said...

Using your pita pizza idea as a guide, I used Gordita breads from the 99 Cent store as a base since I couldn't find pita. I found some really nice pepperoni and sausage there too and made 5 little pizzas for my family for probably less than 50 cents each. Thanks for opening my eyes to all the products at the 99 Cent store.

99 Cent Chef said...

Hi Robin, I like the gordita pizza concept - deep dish style.

The Fat Dietitian said...

I used to live in Eagle Rock, and Zankou chicken was always a fave!

Desert Dogs California said...

Thanks for the idea!

All I put on mine was spaghetti sauce and sliced black olives (the olives I took from my parents house when I raided their fridge over the weekend haha)
I just pulled them out of the oven and they are pretty tasty. Perfect for college students.

Alovelygemini said...

Its June 22 and I am up all night checking out your site, I followed from youtube, I decided I just had to try some of your amazing recipes, so bright and early I was off to my local 99 cent store, and this was my first recipe I made, and let me just say OMG! it is amazing, as I type this I just had my first piece, YUMMIE, oh and my second and third one as well, :) oh I have to go check the grill, I have Mex-turkey burgers, My family is going to love dinner tonight

Unknown said...

I like pizza too much so specially for me this is very great news and I am waiting for such type of great news . i hope you will surely post this type of news in future . thank you pizza coupons Chicago
pizza coupons Chicago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...