Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Best Chicken Salad Recipe - Video

I love Chicken Salad as much as Tuna Salad. It has a milder taste compared to tuna, so the crunchy veggies and mayo/mustard come forward in flavor. My Chicken Salad recipe video will come back for seconds and thirds once you've had your first bite.


The ingredient list is small. I like a little fine chopped onion and celery for crunch. And those veggies are about the least expensive ones you can find at any grocery store.

I also include a tablespoon of pickle relish. I found it at my local 99c only Store and Dollar Tree. You can add more or less veggies and relish to suit your taste. You can even leave out the veggies for a more meaty salad.


I add a little mustard with a lot of mayo for extra creamy Chicken Salad. Again, you can adjust the balance to please yourself and the family. If you don't like mustard then leave it out.

Some recipes call for the herb Dill. Again, use it if you like it, or forget about it.


All the ingredients come cheaply these days. I get dark chicken leg quarters for way less than a dollar per pound and white meat for around 99 cents per pound from Superior, my local Latin market. Dark meat is harder to filet than white meat, but after you've done it a few times it does get easier


I lightly boil or poach the chicken pieces so they stay moist. You can use any chicken you have on hand, either fresh-baked or sauteed, too. I've used leftover roasted whole chicken from the deli case of my local grocery chain store when it's on sale, usually at the end of the work week. Leave out the skin and bones. 

Canned chicken is fine to use, too - just drain it, like you would with canned tuna.

Poaching Video


I always can find mayo and mustard on sale. And onion and celery are some of the least expensive veggies around.

Click on any photo to see larger.

Chicken Salad is a versatile recipe that's delish between 2 slices of bread, or as an appetizer and spread on any favorite cracker. Put a big scoop on your favorite green garden salad for extra flavor and heft.

So get out the leftover cooked poultry and mix up my latest video recipe for Chicken Salad.
Chicken Salad - Video

Play it here. Video runs 1 minutes, 38 seconds.

To view or embed from YouTube, click here.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 Chicken Breast - cooked and cubed. About 2 cups. Okay to use dark meat leg quarter (leg plus thigh.) Use leftover cooked turkey during the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays.
  • 1/4 cup chopped Onion - okay to add more or less to taste. I fine-chopped 1/4 of a white onion. You can use any type of onion including red and green onion.
  • 1/2 cup chopped Celery - okay to add more or less to taste. I used one celery rib.
  • 1 tablespoon Pickle Relish - optional.
  • 1 teaspoon Mustard - or Dijon mustard. I've made this salad without mustard.
  • 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise - any favorite light or whole mayo. Again add a tablespoon at a time to reach your preferred creaminess.
  • Salt and Pepper to taste.
  • 1/4 teaspoon Dill - herb can be dried or fresh. Optional ingredient.


Directions
Use boneless and skinless cooked chicken. I used leftover breast meat from a roast chicken.

You can boil/simmer chicken pieces for about a half hour in seasoned water. Or, saute chicken in a little oil. Just make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through - no pink or red juices.


While chicken cooks you can chop celery and onion. I like onion in salads (tuna, chicken, turkey, egg) finely chopped. For celery, I like pieces a little larger. Okay to chop veggies any way you like.

Now time to bring it all together. Add chicken and chopped veggies to a bowl.


Mix in a tablespoon of pickle relish. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the herb Dill (optional.)


Stir in a tablespoon of mayo at a  time to reach your desired creaminess. I mixed in about 3 tablespoons. Add a teaspoon of mustard. Okay to add or subtract amounts of mayo and mustard.


Finally salt and pepper to taste. Store Chicken Salad in the refrigerator. If you wait a couple of hours before serving, then all the ingredients will have time to meld and become more intense.

I like to scoop my Chicken Salad onto a toasted onion bagel. You can serve Chicken Salad with crackers as an appetizer. Add a scoop of Chicken Salad to your favorite salad.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...