Thursday, December 31, 2009

99.99% Organic in 2009

These are a few of my favorite things - that is, 99.99 cent organic things! Just because you are cheap like me does not mean you have to eat unhealthy.

Fresh produce, jars of organic carrots, beets and chopped garlic from 99c only Stores have been loaded into my shopping basket this year. While not stocked for every visit, I frequently find organic canned beans and cartons of organic chicken, vegetable or beef broth for cooking and soup stock. I have picked up fresh mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, oranges, onions and berries of all types including: strawberry, blackberry, blueberry and raspberry.

I also visit local farmers markets for fresh produce and herbs. Keep a lookout at your regular market for seasonal veggies and fruit - this is when they are priced lower. This Chef recommends keeping a window box with fresh herbs; they are easy to grow, and if you have a patio or yard, plant a few favorite veggies. My thumb is not green; more of my plants wilt or are unproductive - my beefsteak tomatoes grow to look more like cherry tomatoes, but sometimes one bush will make up for all my gardening shortcomings. Don't be discouraged -- it's good to get your hands dirty.

So here is a photo roundup capturing some of my fresh organic finds this year.






6 comments:

Knadele said...

Just FYI...

"All Natural" or "Soy" doesn't mean organic.

99 Cent Chef said...

I know, even "organic" might not be organic, especially if it is in a box or jar!

pepabelly said...

All right Chef! I like it!

Teagan Blackthorne said...

I love that broth. I moved in the last few months and there are no 99 Cent Only Stores. I am going through withdrawal. I used the Imagine Chicken Broth all the time to make soups. It is a nice, rich broth that looks and smells like homemade.

Desert Dogs California said...

It's official. You have the best 99 cent store!

tracyhide said...

i wish we had 99 cent only stores here in missouri! we have deals but i've never seen gimme lean for less than $3 anywhere! and when i was in california last fall i got a head of broccoflower at a 99 cent only store! fantastic....i love your blog, btw--great ideas for cheapskate me (although i do have to do a little adjusting to some of the recipes--we're vegetarian...)

thanks so much for your blog! so glad i found it :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...