Sunday, January 10, 2010

Roasted Potatoes & Carrots

Roasting and winter go together. Potatoes and carrots do too. They are cheap and nothing goes better with your favorite baked chicken recipe. Just cut red or white potatoes into quarters and add a couple of handfuls of rough chopped carrots, drizzle with olive oil, and season with whatever dried herbs you have on hand. It only takes an hour of baking so put the pan of veggies in during the last hour of roasting.

Other root veggies to roast include: whole garlic heads, turnips, onions, beets and parsnips. Roasting carmelizes and sweetens. Allow veggies to cool a little and the skin almost slides off.

The Chef has a couple of roasted chicken recipes you can use: just click on Mint Chicken or Lemon Chicken and read all about it.

Ingredients - serves 4
  • 6 red or white potatoes - cut into 4 wedges each. OK to use regular russet potatoes.
  • 2 cup of carrots - roughly chopped or pre-cut.
  • 2 tbsp. dried herbs - including oregano, basil and thyme.
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil.
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Cut potatoes into quarters. Cut carrots into large sections or use pre-cut. Add cut veggies into a shallow roasting pan. Drizzle with olive or vegetable oil. Sprinkle dried or fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper.

Roast uncovered for an hour at 350 degrees. You may want to try out a thick veggie at 45 minutes, depending on how hot your oven operates and how thin you cut the veggies. Turn veggies once after half an hour to brown on more than one side. If you are cooking your favorite roast bird, then add the veggies during the last hour of cooking. 

4 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

My favorite way to eat these vegetables. I really like your thrifty gene. My brother and I both have it, my husband as well. It's nice to see thriftiness promoted and as well to make it--as you do--so interesting and fun. Many folks think being thrifty is a hardship. I think of it as a game--a challenge, and I'm up for any challenge that nets me fun and profit.

99 Cent Chef said...

Hi Dinah, those are my sentiments exactly! I would not do this if it was not fun & entertaining :-P

Anonymous said...

This is why I love eating some vegetables because I roast them! Many think that this is not too healthy but this is far more delicious than any other.
kitchen table

Recipes said...

Dear Friend,

While browsing I came across your great blogsite!! I've added your site into my blogsite. Could you please consider add my link in your blogsite.

My site is about 'Easy Picnic Recipes'
http://easy-picnic-recipe.blogspot.com/

Thanks in Advance!!
Easy Picnic Recipes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...