Sunday, December 26, 2010

99.99% Organic

Los Angeles is the 99 cent store capitol of the world. Just drive any of our city blocks and count the 99 cent and dollar store signage.

Not all 99 cent, or dollar stores, are created equal. Sometimes I leave the store with very little in my reusable shopping bag, but there is always another one a few blocks away to explore. And I often sing the praises of my local 99c only Stores, because of the wide variety of nutritious produce that it carries, as you will see in my annual organic product highlights post.

Pictures do not lie, but sometimes labels stretch the truth. I don't see how anything can be really "organic" once it's been cooked, processed and stuffed into a can or cardboard box, but I would choose it over the normal stock -- especially for 99.99 cents.

This master miser does not live by canned and packaged foodstuffs alone. Some of my amazing fresh finds this year include: portabella mushrooms, white asparagus, "living" butter lettuce and melons; packages of arugula and spinach; small cartons of  blueberries, strawberries and blackberries; packs of tortillas made with cactus and wheat; and all manner of canned/packaged goods labeled "organic."


7 comments:

twinkletoe said...

Went to your store on La Tijera yesterday- lots of fresh produce!!

Kelly said...

You have a pretty amazing selection at your .99 cent stores . I have found the portabla mushrooms and butter lettuce . I am not always sure how to tell (because of the packaging ) if the portabelas are past their prime .
I have wondered if you are more discerning when it comes to choosing and purchasing .99 cent food .
Or, if you are just a fearless foodie ?
I did luck out and found fresh/frozen pumpkin pies (from a local food company ) for Christmas dinner for .99 cents and our local Randalls ( your Safeway ? ) had spiral sliced hams for .99 cents a lb. before Christmas !
We had a lovely Christmas dinner for about a third of what we usually spend .
Thanks for another interseting year of .99 meals !!!
Happy New Year !!!

99 Cent Chef said...

Hi Kelly, I am discerning, but will try almost anything once! ;-P

99 Cent Chef said...

I concur, the La Tijera store is a good one Twinkletoe ;-)

suzybel56 said...

I see you have Wasabi mayo listed. I cannot find this anywhere (Canada) so I had to buy the powder & mix it with the mayo!

Lynn Woes said...

Oh how I miss the Deals near where I used to live! They had deals like this all the time at the dollar stores. I live in a small rural town now and finding clearance deals like this is not as easy. Although overall I guess my groceries are cheaper than most peoples in more expensive living areas.

99 Cent Chef said...

hi Lynn, I bet you have great fresh seasonal roadside produce stands, though -- that's what I miss of small town living.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...