I always have whole, sliced or juilenned beets in my pantry to add color and a meaty heft to any salad (see my 2 Minute Salad video recipe featuring beets, click here). Canned is not as complex in flavor -- I miss the crunch and slight horseradish heat from farmers market fresh (baked fresh beet recipe is here). I also added a few thin slices of onion to my Beet & Tangerine Salad for that missing crunch and heat.
And the tiny tangerine slices from a can or bottle look so cool and cute -- they add a delicate citrus sweetness to any salad.
Canned beets and tangerines are always carried in my local 99c only Stores. A simply cheap marinade of tangerine juice, oil and vinegar completes the recipe.
The 99 Cent Chef's Beet & Tangerine Salad is easily assembled as a colorful last-minute party salad; or store it in your office cubicle for a light midday lunch break.
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 can sliced beets - 15 ounce, drained. Okay to use whole or julienned beets.
- 1 small jar tangerines - about 8 ounces. Reserve juice from jar (or can).
- 3 thin slices of onion - optional.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - or any vegetable oil.
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar - any type, I used white vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons of juice from canned (or bottled) tangerines.
Drain beets and add to a serving bowl or plate. Drain tangerines and reserve a few tablespoons of juice. Thinly slice some onion. Mix veggies and fruit together. To keep the salad sweeter, it's okay to leave out onions.
Whisk Marinade ingredients together for a minute. Drizzle over Beet and Tangerine Salad. Okay to serve chilled or at room temperature.