Monday, March 21, 2011

Moqueca - Brazilian Fish Stew

Creamy with coconut milk, this Brazilian-style fish stew is a sumptuous contrast of flavors. Also added are Fish fillets marinated in citric lime juice. Canned tomatoes, fresh chopped bell pepper and onion give crunch and body to the stew.

It all comes together quickly. Just marinate fish in the lime juice while the stew cooks for 15 minutes, then add fish -- it's ready to serve in a few more minutes when fish becomes flaky.

I always find canned coconut milk (or cream) at my local 99c only Store. And small packages of fish are usually carried for one dollar per 4 oz. steak in the frozen deli case of my local chain grocery store. Canned tomatoes, onion and bell pepper economically fill in the other stew ingredients.



Try out the unusual melange of flavors that make up my Moqueca - Brazilian Fish Stew

Ingredients (serves 2 - 3)
  • 1 onion - chopped
  • 2 bell peppers - red and/or green chopped.
  • 2 -3 small packages of fish - about 8 to 12 ounces total, or any local fish on sale.
  • 1 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice - fresh or bottled.
  • 1 can (about 14 oz.) of coconut milk
  • 1 can of tomatoes (about 14 oz.) - crushed, chopped or whole (breaking it apart as it cooks).
  • 2 tablespoons of oil.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

Directions
In a bowl or plate drizzle fish with lime or lemon juice. Allow to marinate for about 15 minutes while sauteing veggies and cooking stew.


In a large pan or pot saute chopped bell peppers and onion over a medium heat for 5 - 10 minutes.


Pour in coconut milk and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes. Finally, add fish and cook until fish is flaky and done, 10 - 15 minutes depending on thickness of fish filets.


Serve over rice or anything that soaks up the sweet coconut sauce.

8 comments:

Jessie said...

I made this on saturday, It was soooo Good!!!! I was a bit afraid of the fish turning into mush... but to my surprise the snapper was whole :)

Thanks so much for this lovely recipe! It will made weekly!

99 Cent Chef said...

hi Jessie, glad the recipe works for you. The main thing is not to cook the fish too long.

Jessie said...

Hi Billy!
yes thanks! I know for sure it had to do with me following the recipe step by step. And you making it so simple to follow :)

Easy Ideas for Accessibility said...

I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for a great recipe - its a keeper!!

Fit Fling said...

I tried this tonite for little ole me...it was yummy and I have 3 more servings...I don't know much about Brazilian cuisine but i added some spice..thanks..

Shay said...

I just made this for dinner tonight, and it was absolutely delicious! I was doubtful about how all the different flavors would work together, but they did...yum! The only thing I did differently from your recipe was add some garlic and hot sauce.

99 Cent Chef said...

Wow! A lot of satisfied visitors...glad everyone likes my cheapie recipe!

Jerry kim said...

Hi! What a great stew. I really want to make it.
I' ll try tonight for my mom. She will be happy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...