Sunday, May 1, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan

Cauliflower tastes like a mix of cabbage and broccoli to this cheap epicurean. Steamed is fine, but I prefer my cauliflower oven roasted. It brings out a caramelized sweetness, and by drizzling on some olive oil and adding dried parmesan, kicks it into a scrumptious flavor profile.

And cauliflower is a cheaply nutritious veggie I don't cook enough with. My local market always has it on sale.

The dried parmesan I use probably has been on the shelf  for a decade, but roasting it helps bring back the sharp cheesy flavor. Of course, you can use a fresher expensive name brand.


I like to cook the cauliflower with leaves and stems - no point in wasting anything, it's all good! Roasting veggies helps to retain their natural crunch.

I bet that once you try my Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan recipe, it will become a favorite you will frequently serve.


 Ingredients
  • 1 head of cauliflower - break off or chop florets.
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons of dried parmesan - okay to use fresh shaved.
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • Black pepper to taste - dried parmesan has plenty of salt to my taste.


Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. I roast the whole head of cauliflower including stem and leaves. Remove stem and leaves from cauliflower. Trim off brown or dried ends of stem and leaves. Slice stem into one inch pieces. Turn over cauliflower with stem side up and break, or slice off cauliflower florets. Usually the last floret is a big one, so just slice it into edible size pieces.


Arrange stem pieces, leaves and cauliflower florets in a baking pan or dish. Drizzle with olive oil, turning florets to coat well. Sprinkle on dried parmesan. Finish with black pepper to taste.


Bake uncovered for 30 - 45 minutes, to desired tenderness*. Turn cauliflower florets a couple of times during baking to evenly brown. Cauliflower stems will pierce easily with a knife or fork when done.


*Sometimes I cover the cauliflower for half the time so it steams even softer, just uncover for the final 20 minutes or so, to get some of the brown caramelization.

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

This is my favorite way to cook cauliflower. I do it just like you but I haven't used the parm...may give that a try.

BTW--I read all your posts though I don't always comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...