Friday, June 21, 2013

Coconut Oatmeal

Take a vacation from your typical boring breakfast and try out The 99 Cent Chef's exotic Coconut Oatmeal. I've added raisins, chopped apple and banana before, but spying an old bag of coconut flakes in the refrigerator door shelf, I knew right away it would pair perfectly with simmering oatmeal.


You can't have a cheaper breakfast than a hot bowl of oatmeal. And I've been seeing plastic bags of coconut flakes at my local 99c only Stores lately. Even if you have to buy it a full price, you will get many Coconut Oatmeal breakfasts out of it. And if you've made my Coconut Crusted Fish & Mango Salsa recipe (click here to check it out) then my new oatmeal recipe will use up any copra leftovers.


Coconut flakes helps the roughage go down. And my recipe couldn't be easier to make. Oatmeal comes many ways, from instant and quick, to steel cut. Just follow the package directions and add some coconut flakes when you start it. You could even add a spoonful to your single serving of packaged oatmeal for the microwave.

 So kick up your oatmeal breakfast with The Chintzy Chef's tropical Coconut Oatmeal, it's a cheap and delicious taste of paradise.

Ingredients (2 servings) 
  • 1 cup oatmeal - any type, but make sure to follow package directions. My directions below are for "quick" oats.
  • 1/4 cup of shredded coconut - or coconut flakes. I used sweetened coconut, so no sweetener was needed.
  • 2 cups of water - okay to use milk. I like to use water and add a little milk (a couple tablespoons) just before serving. You can also use your favorite dairy substitute.
  • A pat of butter - optional. Add when serving.

Directions
Simple to do, just add oatmeal, coconut and water to a pot.


Cover and low simmer until oatmeal is soft. Cooking time may vary according to the type of oatmeal you use. I used "quick" oatmeal, so it only takes 3-5 minutes.


Dried coconut flakes will reconstitute and be tender when simmered with oatmeal. I used sweetened coconut, so no sugar or honey was needed. If you have unsweetened coconut then you may need to add a favorite sweetener.

I like to finish up my oatmeal with a splash of milk and a pat of butter.


Hindsight
Simply half the recipe, for a single serving. Add or subtract coconut flakes in my recipe to suit your taste.

If the coconut flakes have been drying out in the refrigerator for too long you can simmer some in water for a minute before adding oatmeal.

Other goodies to add to your oatmeal include: some chopped apple, blueberries, strawberries (or almost any berry,) sliced banana, and dried nuts, pineapple, raisins or cranberries.

Again cooking oats varies by type. Instant is the quickest, while steel cut takes the longest, anywhere from two to ten minutes. Best to check the package directions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of putting coconut in oatmeal, but since I love coconut I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

Suzanne Buckles said...

I'm with Shara, never thought of adding coconut, and I too love it. I bet it's a great combo - and I bet I will love eating oatmeal even more.

Chelle B said...

I would add mashed bananas and toasted almonds for sort of a banana coconut cream flavor. Yummy!!!

99 Cent Chef said...

hi everyone, it's a simple but tasty combo ;-p

Unknown said...

Coconut milk in place of milk-and it's sweet! :) Maybe even coconut oil instead of butter. Hum

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...