Thursday, January 21, 2016

Portabella Mushroom, String Cheese & Herb Omelet - Video Recipe

This breakfast is extravagant. It's not often I make a Portabella Mushroom Omelet, but when I can get this high-end fungus for 99.99 cents, why not go for it? Thick, meaty slices of mushroom cradled by melted cheese, and wrapped in fluffy cooked egg, is a great way to start the day.


I make this omelet old school, diner-style. The egg is whipped with a little milk and cooked all the way through -- with a nice browned exterior. As a contrast, I made a soggy, French-style Cheese Omelette video a couple of months ago (check it out here.) It's good, but sometimes I like my food well done.


I gotta give it up the my local 99c only Stores for the main ingredient. A 5-ounce package often holds 2 to 3 nice-sized ones. And, you'll only need one mushroom per omelet, so, go ahead and invite a friend and make a few of these tasty suckers for breakfast.


I get string cheese there, too. You can use any favorite cheese you have on hand, or find on sale. And, I get my herbs for free, from my patio garden. You can sprinkle in little dried herbs if you don't have fresh - or just leave them out, this omelet is luscious enough.


I get many eggs cheaply here in Los Angeles, anywhere from a dozen to a half dozen for a dolllar. 


Mushrooms are easy to work with, just brush off the dirt and slice them.


You can use any mushrooms you find on sale, it's all good. I like a tasty omelet sometimes, and when mushrooms are on sale, that's excuse enough to make my Portabella Mushroom, String Cheese & Herb Omelet.

Portabella Mushroom, String Cheese & Herb Omelet - VIDEO

Play it here, video runs 1 minute, 40 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.
Ingredients
  • 3 eggs - okay to make it a 2 egg omelet.
  • 1 portabella - per omelet. Okay to use small button mushrooms or any you can get cheaply. Add as many sauteed mushrooms to the omelet as you like.
  • 1 stick of string cheese - okay to use any favorite cheese, like mozzarella, Swiss, cheddar, or plain American.
  • 1 teaspoon herbs - any favorite, I used parsley and basil. Okay, to use dried herbs - but just a 1/4 teaspoon or a small sprinkle.
  • 1 tablespoon milk - to mix into eggs.
  • 2 tablespoons oil - one for mushrooms and one tablespoon for frying omelet.
  • Salt and pepper - to taste.

Directions
Chop herbs, I used parsley and basil.  Shred or slice cheese.


Prepare portabella mushroom for sauteing. Brush off any dirt. Thick-slice mushroom.  Okay to use any mushrooms on sale, including button mushrooms.


Add 1 tablespoon oil to a medium/hot pan. Saute mushroom slices until soft, about 2-4 minutes. Set aside when done.


Add 2 to 3 eggs to a bowl. Pour in 1 tablespoon of milk (optional.) Whisk the eggs and milk to blend well.


Heat the frying pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil (less oil for a non-stick omelet pan.) Pour in beaten eggs into medium/hot pan. Let it cook for a minute then add extra ingredients. I add the cheese and mushrooms on one half, and the herbs on the other half.

 Click on any photo to see larger.

Let the omelet cook until eggs are starting to firm up, but still slightly wet. Depending on the heat of the pan and how many eggs you used, it takes another minute or two.


Gently fold the omelet in half. Cook the omelet to the desired doneness, for about another 30 seconds or a minute.

Just cut into the thickest part of the omelet to check for slight dampness. Of course, you can cook the omelet until dry. A hot omelet will continue to cook and dry until eaten.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This omelet recipe looks delicious! I never thought to use string cheese this way, but it's a genius idea. I'll have to make this for my family for breakfast on Sunday!

B. Keene said...

Wow,can't wait till morning time to try this !

nawaz said...

outstanding

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...