Tuesday, November 9, 2021

National Greek Yogurt Day - Recipes

I always have plain yogurt in my refrigerator and often it's Greek Yogurt. Of course, I like almost any type of yogurt. On National Greek Yogurt Day read on how I often start my day with cool yogurt.

I noticed Greek Yogurt a few years ago and immediately liked how thick and creamier it was. You can read all about the difference between regular and Greek Yogurt by clicking here. 

Mainly, Greek Yogurt is strained and has the whey and other liquids reduced or removed. So the texture is thicker and a bit sourer in flavor.

I never cared for yogurt as a kid, but I love it now! I guess the sourness was too extreme, but when it hit the market with fruit, well, the added sugar was too much, too. 

These days yogurt with fruit or other flavors is reduced in sugar, but I still only buy plain yogurt and add my own fresh fruit. Check out my video below to see how I do it.

Almost any fresh fruit you can find will work. I find sliced banana and seedless grapes are the easiest to add and they show up cheaply at my grocer. 

I go by what's in season so that way the price is right. You want to keep a watch out for peach and cherry season especially.


Peach season runs throughout the summer months. When you buy fresh peaches they are usually firm, but I always wait a few days for them to soften and sweeten. I also leave the fuzzy skin on, but you can remove it if you like.



The cherry season starts around May and only lasts a couple of months, and the prices are highest in the first and last weeks of the season, too. 


How I love cherries. Just give me a bowl of them and the seeds will fly! It takes a little work to slice out the seeds but you only need 6 or so cherries for a small container or bowl of plain yogurt.


Cherries are usually ready to eat, unlike peaches. So check out my Cherries & Yogurt video below. One note, for this simple recipe I use Yoplait French-style yogurt but any favorite yogurt is fine, including Greek Yogurt.


Blueberries are easy to get now. I get mine from the 99c only Store, these days the plastic bins hold about 6 ounces, enough for several servings with cool and creamy yogurt.


Get a bin of blueberries, give them a quick rinse and add to yogurt like I do below.


Ripe, soft, and sweet mango mixed into yogurt is another fave of mine.


We get them cheap here in Los Angeles with our proximity to Mexico. Now, they need to ripen when you bring them home. Usually, they are hard to the touch and may take a week to soften, but they are well worth the wait. Here is how I peel one.


You get a lot of fresh mango in a piece of fruit. Once peeled the soft fruit will only last until the next day in the refrigerator. But that's okay as you will gobble it up anyway. Do you want some Mango & Yogurt? Here it is!


Now raspberries are hard to get. And they are extremely delicate. But when they show up at my local 99c only Store I jump on it!


I find their flavor subtle sweet and tangy when compared to other berries like blackberry. I do get them when on sale as they can be quite expensive, just for variety's sake.


If I have guests overnight then I will make a larger Fruit Salad with yogurt and use a variety of fresh fruit.

Happy National Greek Yogurt Day!

1 comment:

Karl said...

Greek yogurt also substitutes nicely for sour cream in a lot of dishes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...