Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Quail Egg & Avocado Crostini

I received a basket of Quail Eggs as a wedding present from my niece (through friendship) Diana, a very talented artist. I came up with a simple recipe appetizer using Quail Eggs as the crowning ingredient.

If you can toast bread, slice an avocado, and fry an egg then this recipe is for you. A Crostini is a small slice of toasted French bread with a delectable topping or two and I couldn't think of a better combination than a fried egg with mashed avocado.

My Quail Egg and Avocado Crostini looks as good as it tastes. A small Quail Egg is the perfect size for an appetizer bite. And any recipe that uses a creamy pale green avocado deserves top billing. 

Can't say I see Quail Eggs very often on any grocery shelf. I have run across them at local Japanese groceries and other ethnic markets. I first had a Quail Egg served raw on sushi. Kinda extreme for a first bite, but I grew to crave them. I cannot tell much difference in taste to a regular egg.

A Quail Egg is quite smaller than a chicken egg, about the size of your thumbnail.

Quail Eggs have a harder shell with a tough inner membrane that surrounds the yolk and albumen or clear fluid. Once the egg is cracked, I use a sharp knife tip to pierce the membrane. This will release the egg interior for frying. 

Avocados are easy to come by and they are still reasonably priced, especially at my local Latin Superior Grocers.

I get my sourdough flute from the day-old bakery deli bin at my local grocery supermarket, Ralphs. Since the slices of bread are toasted, I cannot really tell when the bread is old or not. You can use any cheap and tasty bread you like for my recipe. If the bread slices are large then cut them down to fit a fried Quail Egg, or add a couple of Quail Eggs to a larger slice

I like my Quail Egg and Avocado Crostini with a fried egg, but you can scramble the egg, too. Make my recipe the way you like it. 

Quail Egg & Avocado Crostini - VIDEO          Play it here. The video runs for 1 minute and 59 seconds.

To view or embed from youtube, click here.

Ingredients

  • Quail Eggs - one fried quail egg per Crostini.
  • Avocado - add a slice or two of ripe avocado to a toasted bread slice. 
  • Bread Slice Toasted - I used a small sourdough loaf called a "flute". The bread diameter is about 2 inches across. You can slice the loaf as thick as you like. Okay to use any favorite slice of bread. A French baguette is easy to find.
  • Salt and Pepper - sprinkle on fried egg or smashed avocado on toast.
  • Cooking oil - just a teaspoon to fry Quail Egg.
  • Lemon Juice - optional. Drizzle a teaspoon amount and mix into a smashed avocado if you are making Crostini ahead of time, to keep the avocado from quickly turning brown.

Directions

Slice bread and avocado. Start toasting the slices of bread, in a toaster, grill, or frying pan.

Add oil to a medium-heated frying pan. Break the Quail eggshell and piece the inner membrane, if necessary, to release the yolk and albumen or clear liquid onto the frying pan.

As the egg fries finish toasting the bread and smear on a generous slice of avocado. A Quail Egg fries quickly in a couple of minutes, depending on how hot the frying pan is. You can scramble the Quail Egg if you like. 

When the Quail Egg is fried (I like a runny yolk) just slip it on the toast with avocado. That's it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...