Friday, September 17, 2010

Cheap Chinese Vegetable Stir Fry

The most time consuming part of my latest recipe is cooking the rice. This vegetable stir fry is ready in about 10 minutes, using budget vegetables from the can and freezer. My local 99 cent Only Store is carrying an 18 ounce stir fry blend that includes snap peas, carrots, broccoli, peas and bell pepper. They taste surprisingly fresh when heated through. Of course you can use any frozen veggies on hand, even mixing a couple of blends.


And cans of Chinese style veggies are always on sale. I am not a fan of canned or bottled mushrooms, but I like straw and shitake. You should also try  bamboo shoots from a can - they retain their crunch and are an unusual tasty addition. I've tried baby corn and water chestnuts, too. Just adding one of these gives a boring stir-fry an interesting texture, and deliciously exotic flavor.


Lately, after another 50 work week, I just don't have time to shop for fresh vegetables then prep them for this healthy dish. So leave your cleaver in the knife drawer - you don't have to chop a thing for my easy and quick-to-make Cheap Chinese Vegetable Stir Fry.

Ingredients
1 package of frozen vegetables - I used an 18 ounce stir-fry blend. Okay to use any frozen veggies on sale.
2 cans of drained Chinese vegetables - I used bamboo shoots and straw mushrooms. Other veggies to use include: baby corn, shitake mushrooms, bean sprouts and water chestnuts.
1 teaspoon of oil.

Stir Fry Sauce
1 cup of broth - vegetable or chicken.
1 tablespoon of corn starch - okay to substitute flour.
1 tablespoon of soy sauce - no salt needed as soy sauce has plenty for me.



Directions
In a heated wok or frying pan, add teaspoon of oil, frozen vegetables and drained canned Chinese veggies.

In a bowl add broth, soy sauce and stir in corn starch or flour. Mix well to dissolve. Pour sauce into wok of veggies. Stir well and bring to a low boil. The sauce will thicken in about 5-10 minutes. By this time veggies should be defrosted. Try one of the larger veggie pieces to make sure. Serve over cooked rice or ramen.

11 comments:

Chris Buzzard said...

I'm going to have to say you phoned this one in. The vegetables look soupy and canned vegs = nasty in my book. But I'm still a fan of the blog!

99 Cent Chef said...

Hi Chris, sometimes I like to make a minimalist recipe. If you cook the sauce long enough it thickens quit nicely; and broth with soy sauce is pretty flavorful. I like the convenience of frozen & canned veggies -- I sometimes even enjoy a $1 frozen Salisbury Steak Dinner by Banquet ;-P

Unknown said...

You can also throw some tofu in there! Or finely chop peanuts...

99 Cent Chef said...

Tofu is a great addition.

Astral said...

CAN WE DO WITHOUT VEGETABLE BROTH. WE R ALREADY ADDING SO MANY VEGETABLES ?

thanx

99 Cent Chef said...

Use any broth you like Astral (I mentioned chicken) ;-P

Astral said...

btw I am vegetarian...so perhaps I didn't hear :-)) Actually in most other videos of Chinese Veg stir fry they use Veg broth. So,I wanted to know if that makes any difference ?

thanx

99 Cent Chef said...

I used vegetable broth to keep this dish vegetarian, and is is great!

Brian Minton said...

I like to add a little molasses to my stir fry. It holds the sauce together, and makes a nice flavor

Liz said...

No garlic?

99 Cent Chef said...

garlic is always a good addition ;-p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...