Thursday, June 11, 2020

Cherry Season - Recipes & Reviews

Cherries start to show up for 99 cents per pound at my local Latin market right about now! They are my fave fruit and I like them plain or .... well, just read on to see what I do with a bag of Cherries.


My love affair with Cherries really heated up when I began to visit relatives in Central California and remember getting fresh Cherries from an orchard tree. While Washington produces the most Cherries, California is in a tight race with Oregon for second place. 

You can read the health benefits of fresh Cherries here. I find they are less perishable than strawberries and last longer like grapes.

The only hindrance to consuming a Cherry is the easily discarded stem and stubbornly buried center seed. Cherries are large enough to slice around the seed, twist and separate, then pry out the seed.


If you have a metal straw then push it through the opposite end of the stem and out pops the seed. (You can use a plastic straw as shown in my GIF below, but it will start to buckle after a few cherries. 


The easiest and quickest Cherry Recipe is to just add a few slices to your favorite plain (or mildly flavored) yummy yogurt. 


It's an early morning light breakfast or on a warm afternoon a cool snack for relaxing in the patio. My video below shows how I do it:

Cherries & Yogurt Recipe


I like pancakes in the morning, especially on weekends. I use a generic pancake mix from my 99c only Store and Dollar Tree, and always add a little fresh fruit, especially cherries. 


You can mix the sliced cherries in the pancake batter or sprinkle on a hot pan first then pour on the batter.

Cherry Pancake Recipe


My Mom has a Cherry Pie to die for. She used to bake 'em up when we were kids, and she makes a mean one even now.


There's nothing better than the smell of a baking fruit pie in the oven and watching the crust brown through the oven window.


And my brother from another daddy, the Swamp Chef, crawled out of the bayou to get Mom to show us how she does it!


This is a 2 crust pie and she uses cherries from the can, that's the old school way. Of course, I know where to find canned Cherries the cheapest!



So pull up an extra chair and invite the whole family to watch Mom and the Swamp Chef show you a homemade Cherry Pie Recipe video..oh, boy!



I crave Cherry flavor for sweet Craisins from my local Dollar Tree


Craisins are dried cranberries, and they're very similar to grape raisins. And real Cherry juice is used, plus cane sugar for a bit too much sweetness. I can eat them by the handful or just add to breakfast cereal or hot oatmeal.


And finally, I'm still a fan of sickly-sweet Chocolate Covered Cherries. There is something so pleasing, almost magical, combining a Maraschino Cherry and creme in a shell of chocolate.


And I can still find 5-count boxes for the right price at my local  99c only Store and Dollar Tree.



So if you are wondering how they rate on my Cheap$kate Dining Scale of 1 to 9, 9 being best? Just check out my video review right here.



Enjoy Cherry Season the 99 Cent Chef way!

1 comment:

B. Keene said...

Oh , what could be better. Mom's pie is out of this world good !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...