Friday, January 22, 2021

Blackberry Pancakes - Video Recipe

Are Blackberries the most intense berry? They are comprised of mini-bubbles of juice and seeds that burst like Pop Rocks. They go from super-sweet to slightly tart all in one bite. But give a bit of grilling time in my Blackberry Pancakes and they smooth out perfectly.

In the South, we have a similar berry called Dewberry. They look and taste almost the same. Growing up that's the berry I was familiar with. 

These days in Los Angeles I can get a 6-ounce plastic pack of fresh Blackberries in my local 99c only Store quite often. You could use frozen berries, but they will be mushy. Frozen are yummy in smoothies.

No special tricks to this recipe, I just add fresh Blackberries to a lightly oiled heating pan and pour on pancake batter. 

For the pancake batter, I use a commercial brand. If you have a homemade recipe then use it. I can get a large box of dry pancake batter at my local 99c only Store or Dollar Tree. Regular grocery stores sell it cheap enough, too.


My recipe is the easiest and quickest thing to make and starting the day with fresh fruit is a big tasty plus.

Check out how I make a cheap$kate breakfast of Blackberry Pancakes.

Blackberry Pancakes - Video
Play it here, video runs 1 minute, 41 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

Ingredients (2 servings, using a pancake mix)
  • 1 cup pancake mix - any favorite
  • 3/4 cup water - okay to use milk for a richer pancake batter.
  •  Blackberries - a handful. Depending on size, I use whole blackberries but sometimes will slice them in two. Okay to substitute with any fresh seasonal fruit like: blueberry, peach, apricot, strawberry, and even sliced banana or canned fruit like pineapple.
  • 1 tablespoon of cooking oil - to grease skillet. Add more when needed, depending on how many pancakes you make.
  • Butter and favorite pancake syrup as toppings - add as much as you like.



Directions
Prepare pancake batter according to package directions. My pancake mix calls for 1 cup of flour and 3/4 cup of water.


Mix pancake ingredients in a bowl. When mixed it will be like thick country gravy. Start to heat the pan over medium/low heat.


I like to place fruit down on pan first so it is in direct contact with the skillet for a little caramelization. You want to pour batter against the Blackberries so they stick to the pancake when you flip it.


Follow the Pancake mixing and cooking directions. The box directions below mention cooking time to brown each side as 1.5 minutes each....hmmm, they must be using a super hot pan!


My pancakes are larger and cook longer than these directions - of course, cook them your way.

If you want a dark brown pancake presentation, then just cook one side to get the right amount of brown, then cook the other side for a minute, to finish. Serve browned side up, on the plate.



It is easier to just mix berries into the batter, but I like the look I get laying down the berries first and pouring on the batter.

I serve hot with melted butter and my favorite pancake syrup.

1 comment:

B. Keene said...

I like the idea of placing the berries first so they are evenly spread around ! Thanks 👍

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...