Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Fresh Frozen Black-Eyed Peas - Deal of the Day Review

My latest Deal of the Day healthy to the Nth degree. Fresh frozen Black-Eyed Peas by Stahl Bush Farms and purchased from my local 99c only Store.


They are about as fresh as you can get and they are ready to eat when they are heated through or reach room temperature. Just click here to read all about them. They also grow and package fresh frozen berries, veggies and more legumes.


And the Black-Eyed Peas are firm but still tender,  not mushy like canned peas. You are tasting the clean flavor of Black-Eyed Peas. There was no seasoning that I could detect.

 You can also feel good about this product as Stahl Bush Farms, located in Oregan, is certified sustainable. Even the package is biodegradable. It's a win-win side dish.


Click on any photo to see larger.

What I like about these fresh frozen veggies or beans is the natural flavor is not drowned in salty water like canned. I eat canned tomatoes and tomato sauce the most, follow by canned corn and pinto beans, but not as much as I used to because of the high salt content.

These peas are a bit dry when microwaved, so add a tablespoon of water per serving.


Since they are cooked through, the peas heat up quickly on the stovetop or microwave. Mix Black-Eyed Peas into a favorite stir fry, or plain  steamed white or brown  rice, for your New Year Hopin' John celebration. I like them best mixed with sauteed mushrooms.

Sprinkle a few tablespoons over your favorite salad or add some to a pasta salad, too.

While tasty I find these Black-Eyed Peas a bit bland, but there is always Cajun Seasonings or hot sauce to make them more interesting. Oh, heck with it, go ahead and add some crisped bacon or pieces of ham. At least you control the seasonings amounts to suit your taste.



So, on my Cheapskate Dining Scale of 1 to 9, 9 being best, I give Black-Eyed Peas by Stahl Bush Farms, straight out of the bag (with a little water and heating through,) a strong 7! But if you flavor them with spices, or add to a salad, then they are a perfect 9!

2 comments:

B. Keene said...

Yum, I will look for that brand here in Tn. Love frozen veggies and beans when you cant get fresh. Second best to fresh ! About to try your plantains recipe ! I'll keep you posted .

99 Cent Chef said...

Blackeyed peas are a bit bland, so let me how how you spice them up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...