Monday, June 17, 2019

Sriracha Chicken - Deal of the Day Review

My latest Deal of the Day is a 5 alarm fire hot bowl of deliciousness. If you can take the heat, then stay in my kitchen and check out my review of  Sriracha Chicken Bowl by evol. 


Sriracha is a red, spicy sauce first found in Thai and Vietnamese restaurants. You use it like any American regional hot sauce. The flavor is similar to red chili based hot sauces. It was popularized here by the California purveyor, Huy Fong Foods. Locals call it Rooster Sauce because of the cock on the bottle label.

Click on any photo to see larger.

I guess it ended up at my local 99c only Store is because of the firey heat. Not everyone can handle it. But if you live on the spicy side of life, you will like this chicken, rice and veggie bowl.

The chicken pieces are on the small side, but I think real chicken was used, not processed loaf type. The white meat chicken was moist and flavorful.


I especially liked the baby corn and sugar snap peas. The veggie pieces are whole and still had a little fresh snap. There is also broccoli, carrot and onion, too. I enjoyed the veggie medley evol. has come up with.


This is a tasty stir fry made with brown rice. Often rice in frozen fare is mushy and can go from watery to dry - not the case here. The rice kernels had a slight chew, with a nice nutty flavor, you expect from brown rice. I would have liked more brown rice, evol., don't be so skimpy next time. This is a light and small meal at 9 ounces.


As expected evol. uses fresh ingredients without chemical enhancements. I've bought their meals before and have always enjoyed them.


If there is a problem with the Sriracha Chicken Bowl, it's the namesake, Sriracha. Hey, I pour on the hot sauce for Cajun meals and breakfast tacos are loaded with salsa, so I'm no hot sauce wimp. But even my calloused taste buds were put to the test.


It was hard to taste the full veggie and chicken flavors when smothered in fiery Sriracha sauce. Whew, I had to take a breather halfway through the meal. But it was good going down. Although it is a hot dining experience, the heat quickly faded, so all is good, ultimately.

                                                    frozen                zapped

At 9 ounces, it's nice light lunch or dinner, but not enough for hearty eaters. I like the all natural ingredients list.


While I liked my latest Deal of the Day, not everyone will be able to take the heat, especially youngsters, so be judicious with who you serve the Sriracha Chicken Bowl too.

So, on my Cheap$kate Dining Scale of 1 to 9, 9 being best, I give Sriracha Chicken Bowl by evol. a...strong 7!

When I need a blast of hot flavor, I would get this Deal of the Day again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...