Sunday, July 9, 2023

Kiwi Salsa - Video Recipe

You don't have to go Down Under for my lasted cheap$kate recipe made from New Zealand Kiwi fruit or berries. Get a bag of tortilla chips and try out my Kiwi Salsa!

My Kiwi Salsa is not as sweet as my Peach or Mango Salsa, but not at sour as a salsa made with green tomatillos. It hits the sweet spot between a typical Tomato or other Fruit Salsas.

You want to choose Kiwi without soft spots or blemishes. A Kiwi is ripe when slightly soft to the touch. 

You can eat the peel as it is not bitter or tough. For Salsa, I go ahead and peel it. If I am just eating Kiwi by itself I will sometimes munch on some of the skin.

The skin is loaded with nutrients, and while weirdly fuzzy in texture, still tasty. I peeled the Kiwi, you can also slice Kiwi lengthwise and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. 

Kiwi originated in China and was commercialized in New Zealand. Click here to read a fascinating story of the L.A. woman, Dr. Frieda Rapoport Caplan, who peddled and  popularized the Chinese Gooseberry, or Kiwi, to American palates  in the 1960s (she even wisely trademarked the name.)

Kiwi is grown locally here in California and Mexico so we locals can get them on sale often at 4 for a dollar. I even see plastic containers at my local 99c only Stores. So the price is right for this Chintzy Chef. It was only a matter of time before I added to my Fruit Salsa Series, which also includes Mango and Peach Salsas.

Kiwi fruit is a little tangy, so less lime juice may be needed for your taste? I like to add chopped red onion, but you can use any onion on sale. I also add cilantro and a little jalapeno. 


Of course, cheap Dollar Tree and 99c only Store Tortilla Chips are what I serve with Kiwi Salsa but if you have a Latin Grocery then get them freshly made. They cost an extra buck or so, but for a special occasion with friends or family, I would indulge.

There is nothing to cook but you do need to do some chopping so have a sharp knife to make your life easier. Finish my recipe with a squeeze of lime juice and mix well.

That's it really, so it's an easy recipe anyone can make and enjoy. And it's just out there enough to make an impression on your guests. 

Kiwi Salsa - VIDEO
Play it here, video runs 2 minutes, 21 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

Ingredients (about 2 servings)

  • 4-5 Kiwis - peeled. About 1 1/2 cups chopped.
  • 1 cup Onion - chopped. I used red onion, but okay to use white or yellow onion. Okay to add more or less onion to your taste.
  • Lime or Lemon Juice - I used the juice of one whole lime. Okay to use juice from a plastic lemon or lime, about a tablespoon. 
  • 1/4 cup Cilantro - chopped. Okay to add more or less to your taste.
  • 1/4 chopped Jalapeño - optional. Okay to use jalapeño from the jar. I removed the seeds. Best to add a little at a time and taste, until your heat level is reached. 

Directions

Kiwis are ripe when slightly soft to the touch. Peel Kiwis. The skin is hairy but thin and actually easy to peel.

Kiwi has small seeds in the center that you can eat. Chop Kiwi and add to a bowl. 

Chop the onion into small pieces. I used about half a large red onion. You can add more or less onion to taste. I use red onion for the color, it's okay to use cheaper white or yellow onion.

Chop 1/4 cup of cilantro leaves. Okay to add more or less to taste. I remove some of the longer stems. 

Mix mango, cilantro, and onion with lemon or lime juice. Finally, add the chopped jalapeño.

Squeeze in the juice of one lemon or lime. Normally I use lime juice but okay to use easy-to-get lemon juice. Okay to use juice from the jar or plastic container from the grocery shelf.

A good trick to get your lemon or lime extra juicy is to slice it in half, then microwave it for about 10-20 seconds until warm. This will release more juice when squeezed.

When handling jalapeño make sure not to touch your eyes or lips or you will get burned. Be sure to wash your hands with soap after working with a jalapeño. The oil from a jalapeño is very hot to delicate body parts!

I like to slice the jalapeño lengthwise to cut out the white pith and remove the seeds. Discard the stem. You will have a little spiciness from jalapeno flesh, but not as much as when adding the seeds.

I used about a quarter of a large jalapeño, or about a tablespoon when chopped. If you like your salsa hotter then add more chopped jalapeno, or add jalapeño with the seeds. 

If you are unsure about how much spiciness you can take, just add a little chopped jalapeño at a time and mix, then try Kiwi Salsa.

Serve with tortilla chips, on a taco, or in a burrito. Double the Kiwi Salsa recipe to serve party guests and get ready for all the compliments that come your way!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...