Monday, April 1, 2019

Lobster Bisque - Deal of the Day

Creamy, rich and seafood pungent, my latest Deal of the Day is a great cold weather soup. Lobster Bisque by Hanover Foods hits the spot and is the right price for this cheap$kate.


My local Dollar Tree stocks it from time to time -- when it's there I like to get a can.


It's only 10.5 ounces of thick soup that directions say to add a can of milk. That's what I did, but next time I would add no more than 3/4 or half a can of milk.


I found it watered down the Lobster Bisque. I wanted a Clam Chowder consistency. But it was still a tasty bowl of goodness.

Click on any photo to see larger.

The bisque was sweet and not too salty as with most canned soups.  The ingredient list starts with water whole milk and cream -- you can really get that rich mouth feel from the milk and cream.


Celery and spices are also listed, but these ingredients are minor. What stands out is the creamy seafood lobster flavor.


While not a wimpy Lobster Bisque, don't expect chunks of lobster for $1. There are a few crumbs of ground lobster in the soup just to let you know they use the real thing.


If you want a meaty soup on the cheap then I would add a few chunks of krab or fake crab. If you have some frozen bay shrimp add that. Hey, go all out and get a small lobster tail !!

This can of Lobster Bisque will not fill you up, so serve it with some crusty bread, a salad or a sandwich. I made a Sliced Turkey Breast Sandwich with melted cheese -- boy was that a great combo.


So how does this Deal of the Day rate on my Cheap$kake Dining Scale of 1 to 9, 9 being best? I give Lobster Bisque by Hanover a strong 7!

While not an East Coast Classic Lobster Bisque, for a buck this will do on a cold winter's day.

2 comments:

B. Keene said...

I prefer to make my own !
But for $1 it's worth a try.

Rose said...

About to try my can, I'm adding drained canned corn and some pre-cooked frozen shrimp. I was wondering about using it as a topping/gravy for rice too.Thanks for the heads up about the liquid and thanks for the post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...