Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Tomato Basil Chicken with Spinach - Cheap$kate Review

The overpowering flavor is basil, just like the title says, and that's a good thing. My latest Cheap$kate meal to review is all veggies and chicken, not a carb in sight. I have the feeling I will still be hungry after this taste test.


Tomato Basil Chicken with Spinach is by Smart Ones from Weight Watchers. I've had their frozen meals before and they usually get good marks.

frozen & zapped

 I am a fan of basil whether it's Thai or Italian leaf. Pungent and aromatic this Deal of the Day's flavors are strong. Chunks of bell pepper, onion, spinach, and tomato round out the frozen entree veggie medley.


I like my sauteed veggies chunky, and this meal delivers, although a bit mushy, that's to be expected for a typical meal from the frozen deli case. I guess you could say it is like a rustic and light Italian tomato sauce.


There is not a lot of tomato sauce but what there is pungent with herbs, especially basil. A sprinkling of mild mozzarella cheese is a nice addition.


Spinach is also at the top of the ingredients list. It is tender, although a bit meager in the amount supplied. But I enjoyed what I tasted.


Surprisingly there is a generous amount of white meat chicken chunks. And they are tender and moist - way to go Smart Ones! And they use real breast meat, not ground and spongy loaf mixture.


The ingredients list is short which I like, just give me what's advertised, not a bunch of mystery preservatives.
Click on any photo to see larger.

And here are the nutrition specs for all you Weight Watchers -- I do like a light meal sometimes.


While this meal may not fill you up, it is fine for a light lunch or dinner. I cheated though Weight Watchers so sue me! I had to add a little rice to fill out the meal. I wanted something to soak up the sauce. I'm sure you could fudge your diet and add a small amount of your fave gluten-free grain or pasta.

So on the 99 Cent Chef's Cheap$kate Dining Scale of 1 to 9, 9 being best, I give Weight Watchers Smart Ones Tomato, Basil, Chicken with Spinach a perfect 9!

You would be smart to pick up a few of these when they show up on sale in your frozen food deli case, of if you are L.A. local then watch out for them at the 99c only Store.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...