Wednesday, November 3, 2021

National Sandwich Day

 Sandwich: two pieces of bread with something (such as meat, peanut butter, etc.) between them. As defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary.

It's National Sandwich Day every November 3rd. Well, in the cheapskate chateau, it's Sandwich Day any time of the year - and you've come to the right place to get your fill ! So read on and click on any recipe name that meets your fancy to see recipe text and photo illustrations.

I have a sandwich at least once a week as it's quite easy to get nice quality lunch meat from my local 99c only Store and Dollar Tree.


Lately, I buy day-old (or week-old) bread from the bargain bin at my big chain grocer, Ralphs. Since the bread is no longer soft I will grill the sandwich or first toast the bread - now, it is no different than fresh-baked, once toasted. Anyway, I like to try out a new bread type on the cheap before I pay full price.


John Montagu, the Earl of Sandwich, is the namesake and is thought to have been one of the first to put some cooked meat between slices of bread while on a gambling binge. I guess they didn't have pizza delivery in England during the 1600s. It started simple, evolving to loaded, filled with decadent ingredients.

Fried Shrimp, Tomato, Lettuce & Pickle with Mayo on French Bread

The winter holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner, so bookmark my Ultimate Turkey Sandwich recipe to use up the dinner table leftovers. It's a versatile recipe, so make it your way. I like sliced turkey, stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce. What makes this holiday hoagie over the top is the addition of a sauteed slice of crunchy turkey skin - I like to use the whole bird. Check out my recipe video below and click on the name above for all the tasty directions.



A BLT is a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich. It's satisfyingly simple. I should know better than to muck up things...well, in this case, I think a couple of tasty tweaks won't hurt. 


It's blasphemy, but I like turkey bacon sometimes, it may be just as salty as regular bacon, but it is lower in fat. I'm old now so I gotta back off a bit.


The other addition is the letter "A" which stands for avocado. Now I know you will like that extra creamy inclusion - so just call this sandwich a TBLT + A.


Jews know how to make a sandwich, and here in LA, the temple to the open-face is served at Cantor's and Langer's Delicatessens.


Now, the sandwiches are expensive there, but they are so stacked with corned beef, brisket, turkey, tongue, etc. that you can easily get two meals out of one sandwich. But if you have been following my blog posts then you may have seen my cheap$kate recipes for Corned Beef and Easy Pastrami.

Corned Beef

I always buy a few on-sale packages to freeze corned beef during St. Patrick's Day - yep, my recipes are a mashup of Jewish and Irish cultures, so get out your green yarmulke and get to cookin'.


They are not that difficult to make, and if you are on a budget, then do it my way. I take a shortcut and start with already corned beef from the grocery store for Easy Homemade Pastrami. For Corned Beef, you boil the raw Corned Beef, brisket until fork-tender, then slice it up. For Pastrami I add a short smoking stage. 

Smoking Boiled Corned Beef ='s Pastrami

In my Easy Homemade Pastrami recipe video below, I show you how to make it using a grocery store-bought corned beef.



Once the Corned Beef and Pastrami are cooked it's time to make sandwiches and believe me they will be as good as any deli-made. Keep it simple with just sliced rye bread and a smear of mustard.


Or, kick it up a notch and make Rachel and Reuben Sandwiches - they are the best! Both sandwiches have Swiss cheese and Russian Dressing on rye bread. A Reuben Sandwich has the addition of sauerkraut. See my video below for the tasty details. 

Reuben Sandwich with Sauerkraut

For a Rachel Sandwich add a big scoop of Coleslaw to the sandwich. Of course, I have a delish Coleslaw Recipe a click away here. And look at my video below for a Rachel Recipe.


Rachel Sandwich with Coleslaw

The next couple of sandwiches come from Cajun Country, which is Louisiana. One of their signature sandwiches is called a Muffaletta.


It's just a loaded deli sandwich with cold cuts and cheese. What sets it apart, beyond a round bread roll, is an Olive Salad or Olive Relish. 


 It's all in the family as my nephew Chef Matt rustles up a Cajun specialty, an Alligator Po'boy.  I suspect not many of you will make this, but the recipe can easily be adjusted by substituting alligator with catfish, shrimp, or oysters. 

It is the most outrageous sandwich of the group and worth a viewing - just for the uniqueness of the bayou reptile ingredient.


If you're ever in New Orleans, you can use this video below for a Po'boy Sandwich Guide. You'll find some great eateries serving Roast Beef to Fried Oyster Po'boys. 


For my vegetarian visitors, my sister Denise makes a mean Veggie Burger made with eggplant. Just watch the video below that also includes a cheap$kate shopping spree in my local 99c only Store for all the ingredients that make up an Eggplant Burger.


Another tasty veggie sandwich is my grilled Portabella Mushroom, Bell Pepper, and Cheese Burger


Of course, use a slice of vegan cheese. When I came up with this recipe a decade ago there was not much in the way of vegetarian whey. Brush on the veggies a simple vinaigrette of olive oil and balsamic vinegar then saute or grill the veggies. Finally, melt on the cheese and toast the buns or bread.


Patty Melt is the most decadently delicious of sandwiches. There is no nutritious lettuce and tomato, just butter, caramelized onions, and a slab of fried ground meat. But I do make a less fatty version using ground turkey instead of ground beef.


You can visit my blog post or just watch the video below to get all the tasty details.


It's intermission time, that is you can watch the video below to cleanse your palette with my noir-tinged nighttime romp through Los Angeles eateries looking for the perfect sandwich. Turn up the volume for my Restaurant Nocturnes video below.


A most unique sandwich is the Bánh mì by way of Vietnam. It is loaded with crunchy veggies like cucumber, radish, carrot, and spicy jalapeño. The meat components are pâté, head cheese, and roast pork. Due to its French influence, all the ingredients are tucked inside a crunchy French roll. It reminds me of a Louisiana Po'boy sandwich. I have a simple version of Bánh mì a click away here

I first had one when I worked in Santa Monica and read about the Nom Nom food truck that featured a great Bánh mì sandwich. They were so good I had to do a video about the sandwich and the cool chefs who worked there and customers that hung out. Check it out below.



BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich is one of my faves - it's what we served on my wedding day with my late wife, Amy. I get whole pork shoulder on sale sometimes for less than 99 cents per pound at my local Latin market, too! If you have an ethnic market in your neighborhood, do check it out for interesting food ingredients, often cheaper than you can get at a regular market.


Pulled Pork just needs a simple dry rub made with inexpensive dried spices like cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and sweet brown sugar.


A typical Southern Pulled Pork Sandwich is dressed with sliced raw onion, sour pickles, and BBQ sauce. Just check out my recipe video below to see how I do it.



I make Cuban Sandwiches with tender slices of pork from a citrus-marinated slow-roasted pork shoulder. The sandwich is uniquely constructed of Cuban roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickle slices, and all between a sliced browned bread roll smeared with mustard.

Cuban Roast Pork

Cuban Sandwich
You have to break a few eggs for the next sammies: a simple Egg Salad and Fried Egg Sandwich, plus a Homemade Egg McMuffin.


There is something so soothing about Egg Salad My recipe couldn't be simpler, just chopped boiled egg, fine-chopped celery, and mayo. 

It's a dangerous recipe that I have too often just eaten right out of the mixing bowl. But if I can resist I'll refrigerate the Egg Salad and make a fatEgg Salad Sandwich.

Egg Salad Sandwich

I make Fried Egg Sandwiches the most. As long as it takes to fry an egg, I toast slices of bread, slice a tomato, peel off a leaf of lettuce, and I finish the sandwich with a smear of mayo, that's it.

 Egg Sandwich Recipe

My Homemade Egg McMuffin recipe will save you trips to McDonald's, and you can slice the ham as thick as you like, plus go ahead and add an extra slice of cheese.



What's the big deal with McDonald's McRib? I mean it's an okay sandwich, but kinda weird as there is no rib in the sandwich and the meat is just pork ground meat that has the texture of a McNugget.


For my version of a McRib, I use an outrageous shortcut - a Boneless Pork Riblet by Banquet frozen foods! 


How does it compare? The patties look and texture are the same, and the flavor is very similar. This TV dinner slab of pork is smothered in BBQ sauce just like the McRib -- it's not too bad really plus a lot cheaper. Click here to see all the tasty details of how I pull off this ripoff recipe!


OMG, the Fried Chicken Sandwich is everywhere. Almost all fast-food joints have a version, and that's because they're the bomb. And chicken prices are still a steal. 


I have a great spiced crunchy coating for the chicken filets a click away. Get an inch of hot oil going and after about 10 minutes of frying, assemble the sandwich and you're ready to dig in!


Check out my recipe video below for all the juicy details. I like my Fried Chicken Sandwich with lettuce, tomato, pickle slices, mayo, and mustard, how about you?


One of my most acclaimed recipes is a luscious Scallop Roll. I was even linked and highlighted by the Huffington Post when I published the recipe. To read about it click here, then click on "See Gallery" and arrow ahead - I'm number 4.


I got the idea after reading and fantasizing about what an East Coast Lobster Roll would taste like. I couldn't afford lobster, so I got the next best thing, tender bay scallops for $1 per small package, just enough for a cheap$kate Homemade Scallop Roll. Go ahead and see how I make it here!


I'll end this blog post with live music and picnic sandwiches. Amy (my late wife) and I caught a great free concert by songbird Aimee Mann at a seaside park in Marina del Rey. I brought along Finger Sandwiches made with Cucumber & Cream CheeseSalami with Dijon Mustard, and Ham with Butter.


We set out a blanket, opened a bottle of vino, and ate our sandwiches while Amiee Mann serenaded the picnickers. Just check out the video below to join our picnic and get all the Finger Sandwiche Recipes.


So click on any recipe name above if you have the appetite for one of my delish and cheap$kate sandwiches.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...