Thursday, February 24, 2022

National Chili Day - Recipes & Reviews

 I celebrate National Chili Day big time. I make my own and I get it from a can -- it's all good. And click on any recipe name or review to see the original blog post.

Of course, Homemade Chili is the best. I like to use a cheap cut of beef called Beef  Shank. It's a tough cut of beef so you do have to cook it for 2 or 3 hours, but that's okay as the flavor just intensifies over time. You can make Chili with ground beef and even ground chicken or turkey. 

The overriding flavor of typical Beef Chili is from red chile peppers. They come dried whole, ground into powder, or as a sauce in a can. It is easiest to use ground chili powder. 

Click on any photo to see larger.

In the video below check out how I make my Homemade Beef Chili. It's quite simple to do really, all the ingredients are dried or from the can, and the recipe is even easier and quicker if you use ground beef instead of beef shank. 

Beans or not to include beans, that is the Chile dilemma. Chili fanatics are divided, but I can swing both ways! 

You slow simmer Chile with pinto beans or red beans. For my recipe of Homemade Chili With Beef & Beans, I use pinto beans. Go ahead click here and dig in.

Is a Sloppy Joe made with Chili? It has the same ingredients, just not cooked as long until mushy. My Sloppy Joe recipe is chunkier and slightly sweeter than a typical Chili, but almost the same and delicious.

How does meatless Chili hold up? Check out my review of this cheap$kate frozen fare by clicking here, A hint -- it's pretty good!

Here is a couple of Cheap$kate Chile Recipes. Click on any recipe name to be directed to my original blog post. First up is Quick White Bean & Chicken ChiliThe two main ingredients are from the can.

The next quickie recipe is Turkey & Black Bean Chili. This time I use ground turkey and a can of black beans.

My favorite sports food is a greasy and sloppy Chili Dog. First, steam the weiners then heat the Chili. I also set out the buns and all condiments so my game buddies can make their own. Kick it up a notch with chopped onion, relish, and shredded cheddar cheese.

I confess I like Chili from the can or box. Lately, I've found canned all-meat Chili from my local Dollar Tree for a buck (lately the prices have risen to $1.25) and it is fine for a hot dog on game day. I've not had a bad can yet. I've tried a few brands and even Vegan Chili from the can is quite tasty, If the Chili is watery, then cook it uncovered and let the liquid reduce by half, that outta do it. 

I like my basic Hot Dog with mustard and chili. See my Chili Dog recipe video below - nothing to it.

A more extreme Hot Dog recipe is combining Sauerkraut and Chili, it's so sour and beefy-rich. It's not for everyone, but I dig it.

I have favorite local fast-food joints that feature Beef Chili in their hamburgers, or hot dogs. If you live in Los Angeles for any length of time you have tried an Original Tommy's Hamburger. It is a great burger, simply delicious - nothing to it, just a Chili Burger. 

What's unique about a Tommy Burger is a thick slice of tomato and, of course, Chili. The Chili is thick and meaty, and a great contrast when they include a sweet tomato slice, sour mustard, and pickles. I have to add a creamy smear of mayo to my order.

The majority of Chili is made with red chiles, but bright green chiles make a tasty one, too. I have a quick Chicken in Green Chile Verde anyone can easily make. I use green Enchilada Sauce from the can. It's a yummy change of pace.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...