Friday, July 22, 2022

National Mango Day

When ripe, a mango is easy to peel so on National Mango Day you can get right down to choosing what cheap$kate recipe of mine below to celebrate with today.

I peel a Mango by just slicing into the skin, top to bottom about 4 slices per Mango. That is usually enough to then peel each segment of skin to reveal the orange flesh underneath. Then you just slice off the flesh until you hit the large flat/oval seed.

Mangos are ripe when soft to the touch, kinda like an avocado. Although, in a Thai Mango Salad green sour Mangos are used. Mangos come in all sizes, from small Manila Mangos to large Mexican and Central American Mangos. And they are cheap here in Los Angeles, especially when on sale at my local Latin grocery store. 

The simplest way I use a sliced Mango is to add some to my breakfast cereal or in a bowl of plain yogurt. My Mango and Yogurt recipe is a delicious start to your day or a cool anytime snack.

I can still find yogurt cheaply at my local 99c only Store, even large tubs for a buck sometimes!

I have a fruity pancake series I've been doing for a few years now that features fresh fruit and Mango is at the top of my Pancake recipes. Nothing to my Mango Pancakes recipe as I use a cheap pancake mix. All you do is add water to the mix and stir until a batter is formed. 

I then add Mango slices to a hot grill then pour on the pancake batter. Just check out my recipe video below to see how easy it is to use fresh fruit to a typically boring stack of pancakes.

If you want to Wow a party, bring a bowl of my delicious Mango Salsa. Every time I bring it the compliments fly! Of course, don't forget a bag of tortilla chips. 

What makes my Mango Salsa off the hook is the push and pull of sweet mango flesh and spicy pieces of jalapeno. The other ingredients are cheap and easy to get including chopped onion, cilantro, and lime or lemon juice. The only hard part is chopping the veggies and that's no big deal really.

My simplest recipe on National Mango Day is a Spicy Mango. I always have Red Chili Pepper Flakes in my spice rack. If you like a sprinkle of Red Chili Pepper on your pizza then give them a try on fresh sliced Mango. The yin and yang of hot and sweet will be a thrill to your taste buds.


I'll end National Mango Day with a refreshing Mango, Watermelon, and Spinach Salad. It's perfect on a summer day. It's light and sweet with a simple dressing of lemon juice and olive oil. Do add a Mango to your shopping list on this special day.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...