Sunday, January 8, 2023

Top 9 Recipes of 2022

As year-end recipe lists go, my Top 9 Recipes of 2022 is one you can really sink your incisors into. And all of my top picks are deliciously cheap to make. Just click on any recipe name to see the original 2022 blog post for tasty photos and my money-saving tips, and be sure to play any embedded videos below. The ranking order is random and not by delectability, so go ahead and dig in! 

1. Breakfast Tacos with Curly Fries

No Top 9 Recipes of 2022 would not be complete without a recipe from my Mom. And this one is a doozie, how about Breakfast Tacos with Curly Fries

This recipe is loaded and I don't mean just ingredient-wise. Mom opinies on the state of eggs for sale - is the Egg Industrial Complex pushing regular-size eggs as "extra-large?" Mom also shows how she heats up her tortillas...on a toaster, no less! 

But the main question is how delicious is her Breakfast Tacos with Curly Fries? I mean, how can you resist a Breakfast Taco with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, and reheated frozen curly fries? Check it out below.


2. Breakfast Croissant Sandwich

Speaking of morning munchies, I did a series on Breakfast Croissant Sandwiches. My local grocery chain, Ralphs, sells Croissants in its day-old bread bargain bin. 

Each Croissant is less than a buck so why not go for a French pastry breakie. I make them simply by toasting the Croissant loaded with scrambled eggs. Click here to see three Croissant Breakfast Sandwiches. Below is my loaded Breakfast Croissant Sandwich with Scrambled Eggs, Deli Ham, and American Cheese.

3. Raspberry Pancake

I a big fan of adding fruit to my Breakfast Pancakes. Every year I add a new video recipe that features fruit + pancakes. This year it is Raspberry Pancakes. Raspberries are not cheap, but when they are on sale this is my favorite way to have fresh Raspberries.

4. Old Fashioned with Candied Maple Bacon

I'm gonna throw a curve here with my next recipe, a Cocktail called an Old Fashioned. The basic recipe is made with whiskey, bitters, sugar, and finished with a Maraschino cherry or twist of lemon rind. My version is on the trendy side as I substitute sugar with a sweet slice of baked Candied Maple Bacon. It's a deliciously cool recipe you can check out below and try for your next home Happy Hour - make mine a double!

5. Cola Turkey Carnitas

My goto Taco from sidewalk cooks or food trucks is made with juicy slow-cooked pork Carnitas. Not everyone can handle pork so I came up with a tasty substitution using dark meat turkey legs. I shop every week at my local Latin market, Superior Grocers. I noticed in the deli department they make Pork Carnitas and right behind that heating tray are Turkey Carnitas, too. Turkey legs hold up well to braising, especially with Mexican Cola, orange, and lemon juice. Try out my sweet and succulent recipe for Mexican Cola Turkey Carnitas sometime, it's easy to make my way.

6. Easy Homemade Pastrami

This is what I make when we are entertaining guests that I want to impress. I made Homemade Pastrami the hard way once, from scratch. But my Easy Homemade Pastrami recipe below is the best and easiest way and it's as good as Pastrami you will get at a Jewish Deli. 

I buy packages of Corned Beef to freeze during St. Patrick's Day/Week. That's when it's the cheapest. Uncooked packages of Corned Beef from the meat department freeze well and are perfect for a summer BBQ or two. Check out below how I do a quick gas grill smoking of a slab of tender cooked Corned Beef. 

7. Easy Coleslaw

I make this recipe all the time. It goes well with any sandwich recipe you have. I make Easy Coleslaw when I grill burgers and steam hot dogs. Have you ever tried it on a hot dog? Believe me, it works. And read on to see another Top Nine Recipe that has Coleslaw as a featured ingredient called a Rachel Sandwich.


8. Ruben and Rachel Sandwiches

This is a twofer recipe listing. These Jewish Deli classic sandwiches are my favorite. You can make them with Pastrami (see my above Easy Homemade Pastrami recipe) or with Corned Beef (my Easy Corned Beef recipe is here). Both sandwiches are made with Rye bread, Swiss cheese, mustard or Russian Dressing. A Ruben Sandwich is loaded with Sauerkraut. A Rachel Sandwich is loaded with Coleslaw. Boy, are these great sandwiches. 

9. Meatballs

Everybody loves Meatballs. I don't know why but I keep adding more ingredients to a good thing. There are a lot of Meatball recipes around and I've tried a few. Lately, I make mine with ground turkey. It's a light Meatball even with my additions of sauteed veggies, plus mushrooms, spinach, bread crumbs, egg, and herbs. You can add or subtract from my ingredients list to suit your tastes. 

It has been a fruitfully abundant year of recipes here at the Cheap$kate Chateau. I did the heavy lifting for you, so now all you have to do is pick a recipe link and save yourself some hard-earned cash by trying out any of the above. And if you have a favorite recipe of mine, then leave a comment to share.

And make sure to keep checking in here from time to time. I create yummy-looking blog posts with a dollop of humor, and while my tastes are cheap, my recipe flavors are top-shelf !!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...