Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2013 Video Highlights Reel

Grab a favorite beverage, sit down, and sink your eye teeth into some of my tastiest video clips from last year. The Cheap$kate Culinary Cineaste made over 20 videos in 2013. So just scroll down to the end of this post to see the outrageous video highlights.

As usual there is a cupboard full of recipe videos. One from my nephew, Cajun Chef Matt, and the other by my tie-dye wearing sister from Austin, Denise. Chef Matt shows you how to make a strawberry vinaigrette and coat a fish fillet with pecans, while my sister goes vegetarian with an Eggplant Burger recipe.


And The Racontour of Recipes has a slurry of stop motion animated videos -- from the humble Black-eyed Peas to a Mexican taco truck favorite, slow cooked pork Carnitas. These videos are a lot of fun to watch (and make as well,) but manage to get all the recipe details right.


This Kitchen Commando does not live by recipes alone. I got to get out and explore the vast culinary landscape of Los Angeles. And you have a front passenger seat when I hit the town, finding frugal dining destinations: from 99 Cent Fish Tacos in East LA, to the latest Top Chef-run prix fixe hot spot on the Westside.


While I've been reviewing eateries from the beginning of my food blogging, this year it all came together in my Cheap$kate Dining series of videos. The format is simple, all I do is shoot an exterior of the joint, followed by closeup shots of the food, and finally I rate the meal with a 1 to 9 number, 9 being best.


You'll be surprised to know that the best al pastor tacos in Los Angeles comes from a Taco Truck, while the worst fried chicken is from a truck by Top Chef and The Taste judge Ludo Lefebvre! (You've got to check out my Fried Chicken Ludo Truck video, where after taking a rating hit, Chef Ludo gets in the last word - let's just say you may never look at a billboard the same way again!)


Be sure to check out all the videos (over 175 so far) on my YouTube channel (click here,) or on my food blog. (Scroll down the right side to see my Video headings and click on any text, under: Recipes, Restaurant Reviews, Comedy Shorts and Documentaries.

It's been a productive year so far, and I have a slew of new videos in various stages of completion, that I know you will enjoy. Be sure to lookout for my upcoming special Sushi Recipe Video Series -- I know, that sounds impossible, but The Cunning Cuisinier always finds a way around financial roadblocks.

And my Cajun family is back! I just spent a week shooting video in Gonzales, Louisiana. My Mom, just shy of 80 years old, is as feisty as ever in the kitchen -- along with all the nieces, nephews, grandkids and siblings dropping by to create a ruckus. Plus, as a special treat, I introduce a new culinary character, The 99 Cent Swamp Chef.


If that isn't enough to keep you coming back, I don't know what is!

2013 Video Highlights Reel -VIDEO

Play it here, video runs 6 minutes, 21 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

My foodblog videos would be anemic and boring without the help of my friends, family and the cooperation of local eateries -- a big 99 thanks!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...