Sunday, August 19, 2018

Liver Cheese - Cheap$kate Dining Video Review

Sometimes I like it funky. I mean funky organ meat like liver, that is. I sometimes get it on sale at my local 99c only Stores. This Deal of the Day video is not for the faint of palate, you gotta have a strong stomach to make it through my latest Cheap$kate Dining video.

Click on any photo to see larger.

Usually, I get tubes of Liverwurst or Braunschweiger from the cold deli case. I just spread some of the pate-like meat on a fave cracker for a snack.



 I add a little mustard and a slice of gherkin, too.


I also like to cook chicken livers when I bake a whole chicken. It only takes a few minutes of sauteing, and is something to snack on while the chicken roasts.

So when I saw Oscar Mayer Liver Cheese on sale, well, I had to try it. First off there is no cheese in the package.


 Liver-cheese is a translation of the German word " Leberkäse," where this type of porcine meat/cheese mixture was popularized in the 1700's.

I like the short ingredient list, mainly ground pork liver, with the addition of other cuts of pork, salt and onion flavor.



The flavor is typical liver - minerally and gamey at the same time with intense meat flavor. It is an acquired taste, unlike any other cut of (organ) meat. Even the smell is overpowering.  It's like comparing cooked cauliflower to carrots, both veggies are on opposites ends of the flavor scale.

Oscar Mayer Liver Cheese is fine ground like a pate and formed into thin slices. It remains moist this way, whereas whole liver can be very dry if over-sauteed.


I've grown to like liver. I don't eat it every month, but when a craving hits me I get a nice loaf of freshly baked bread or favorite crackers. I add a smear of mustard and a pickle slice, when making an appetizer.




What is unusual in this Oscar Mayer version is the thin fat rind that encompasses each slice. It is a peculiar addition, that takes getting used to. I kinda got used to it, though.

The fat rind has a slight chew and is similar in texture to fat that is attached to slices of ham, although without the smokey flavor. I'm sure it's reconstituted for a uniform shape and firmness. The rind is a nice texture contrast to creamy pork liver.


So how does Oscar Mayer's Liver Cheese rate on the 99 Cent Chef's Cheap$kate Dining Scale of 1 to 9, 9 being best? I thought it taste just like ground liver should, pungent and meaty. So I give this Deal of the Day a....well, just watch the video below to see how I rate it!
Liver Cheese - VIDEO

Play it here, video runs 1 minute 31 seconds

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

2 comments:

Stacy Rushton said...

I realize this is an older post but I hope you can still send me in the right direction. My mom is almost 82 years old and she LOVES the Oscar Meyer liver cheese. Been eating it her whole life but it's gotten impossible to find where we live - Houston, Texas. I see that you are in L.A. Our younger daughter lives there as well. Can you let me know which 99¢ Store you found the liver cheese in and if you've seen it lately? I'm gonna put an order in for my mom next time her granddaughter comes to visit! Thank you in advance!

99 Cent Chef said...

hi Stacy, sorry for the late response, don't always get them in time...haven't seen Liver Cheese lately at 99c stores, but when they do most of them will stock for a short while.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...