Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Vegetarian White Beans - Recipe Video

I'm more of a pinto and black bean guy, but I do like a bowl of White Beans with crusty toasted bread from time to time and I think you will like my recipe video too. My White Beans are loaded with veggies. You can add or subtract what I use.

I like chunky chopped carrot, celery, and onion, and of course plenty of garlic, too. The French call this combination a mirepoix.

 I also add my garden herbs of sage, oregano, and from the jar, a dried bay leaf. Again add or subtract what you have on hand, whether the herbs are fresh or dried.

I finish the recipe with plenty of water and a cup of white wine - don't worry if you don't have wine, all the veggies add plenty of flavor. Beans take a while to simmer covered, about 3 to 4 hours, while a pressure cooker will do it in less than an hour. But there's no better aroma than slow cooking beans on the stovetop. 

I like to saute onions to bring out their sweetness first, then saute garlic for a minute. That's all the prep I do. Add everything else and get to cooking the White Beans.

I grew up eating pinto beans in Texas, but when we moved to Louisiana I was introduced to White Beans as a side to the rice and sausage dish Jambalaya and other Cajun entrees. Louisiana-style White Beans leave out the carrot. The onion and celery are fine chopped so it pretty much blends into the bean sauce. The herbs are a bay leaf, and a sprinkle of Creole Seasonings is used.  I like White Beans this way, too. 

The main veggies are cheap at any market and I get a 16 ounce or 1 pound bag of White Beans at my local 99c only Store or Dollar Tree.

My Vegetarian White Beans are easy to make and you can make it your own if you have a fave herb or veggie addition, go for it!

Vegetarian White Beans - Video
Play it here, the video runs 4 minutes, 16 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound White Beans - also known as navy beans, great northern beans, small, or large white beans. Give the beans a quick rinse if necessary.
  • 1 Onion - chopped. white or yellow onion. Okay to add more.
  • 1 large Carrot - chopped. Okay to add more carrot.
  • Celery - 1 to 2 ribs. Okay to add more if you like.
  • 1 teaspoon Garlic - chopped fresh or dry.
  • 1 teaspoon Herbs - I use oregano, sage, and thyme. Okay to use any fave herb you like, fresh or dried.
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 1 tablespoon veggie oil - any favorite, like avocado or olive oil. To saute onions and garlic.
  • 8 cups of water - according to directions on the bag. At end of cooking, you can uncover pot of beans and let some liquid cookout for half an hour, if too watery. I like a thicker broth with beans.
  • 1 cup white wine - optional. Vegetable broth is a good substitution for extra flavor. Again this is optional.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

Directions

Wash beans and pick out any debris if necessary. Chop veggies into large or small pieces. 

Add oil and saute onions for about 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and saute for another minute. 

Finally add the chopped veggies, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste.

 Fill the pot with about 8 cups of water and a cup of wine. Wine is optional, okay to add any favorite broth like vegetable.

Bring beans, veggies and water to a boil, then lower heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook until  White Beans are tender, about 3 to 4 hours. Be sure to check on liquid if it cooks out, add as needed. 

I like a thick sauce with the beans so I let some of the liquid cooks out. You can always uncover the beans for a half hour or so at end of cooking to thicken the sauce. 

Taste the beans to find the tenderness you like and serve hot!

Just a note, this is the White Beans Recipe I use for a Cassoulet, which has the addition of chicken and sausage, baked for an hour and a half with the beans...sooo gooood.


2 comments:

B. Keene said...

Oh my goodness I can't wait to try that recipe. I would have never added white wine to beans so looking forward to giving it a shot. Thank you for the tips.

Desert Dogs California said...

That sounds really good. I get tired of eating beans the same way all the time so thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...