Wednesday, March 9, 2022

National Meatball Day - Recipes and Reviews

 There's always room for Meatballs, and I've made them in many ways, from Meatballs floating in a Mexican Albondigas Soup, Swedish Meatballs with Gravy, and every Italian grandmother-style Meatballs with Spaghetti. You've come to the right place to celebrate National Meatball Day!


No matter how you stack them in a Meatball Sub, or on a pile of pasta, I think you will approve of my multitude of Meatballs recipes and cheap finds. Click on any highlighted recipe name to be redirected to my original blog post recipe.

Do you like your Meatballs made of ground pork, beef, or poultry? How about mixing turkey and pork? I still find deals on 7-ounce packs of ground pork, and ground turkey that comes on sale frequently. 

And I've reviewed a few from the frozen deli case like these Turkey Meatballs by Villa Roma for 99 cents. How do they rate on the 99 Cent Chef's Cheap$kate Dining Scale of 1 to 9, 9 being best. Well, just click here to see the deliciously high rating.


I'm a big fan of Swedish Meatballs. I first had them from the public cafeteria in Ikea, a well-known furniture and housewares chain store. What gives them that Oomph is the addition of the spice nutmeg - oh, and they are served in a creamy gravy. 

As a prolific video recipe maker, I am influenced by many European film directors, so it's only natural to create a Swedish Meatball Recipe in homage to Ingmar Bergman who created films of angst and struggles of the psyche.

99 Cent Chef plays chess with Death.

So how do Lean Cuisine's Swedish Meatballs compare to mine? Hmmm, they are a bit boring. This recipe script needs some punching up!

My most unusual Meatball recipe is called Albondigas Soup by way of Mexico. It is a colorful concoction with chunks of veggies like squash, potato, and carrot. The Meatballs are studded with rice, so this is a dollar-stretching hearty soup for a cold day.

I found the most unusual Deal of the Day called Italian Wedding Day Soup that has Meatballs. 


While soup in a can is always suspicious, and this one is just okay, the idea is a good one because the main ingredient, along with Meatballs, are tender pearls of orzo pasta.


Almost every family has a recipe for Meatballs with Spaghetti, and this Cheap$kate Chef would like to throw a handful of pasta against the wall and see if my recipe sticks. And the ingredient list has it all including mushrooms and spinach.

My Lighter Than Air Meatballs rock hard! I make them all the time and I think you will too if you follow the simple directions. 

Adding veggies and toasted bread makes the Meatballs so light and tasty.  And this is a 2fer recipe as you can use the Meatballs to make a Meatball Sub.  Check out my  Lighter Than Air Meatballs video recipe below and give it a try.

Let's fork a Meatball and raise it in celebration of National Meatball Day!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...