Monday, June 26, 2023

Easy Coleslaw with Pineapple - Video Recipe

Coleslaw is made for a summer backyard barbecue gatherings and shady picnics in the park. It's easy to make and travel with. Just keep it in the refrigerator, or with cold packs in a cooler, until serving time for a cool presentation.

I grew up eating Southern-style Slaw -- super creamy from all the extra mayo. Go to any local BBQ Joint and choose a side of Coleslaw with fried chicken or sliced smoked brisket. 

I only use 4 ingredients for my Coleslaw with Pineapple, just a package of shredded cabbage and carrot, a drained can of chunky pineapple, a lot of mayo, and finally black pepper.

I first had Coleslaw with Pineapple at a local fried chicken joint called Dinah's Chicken. It is my preferred side order there. You can read my review about them a click away right here.

Keep it vegan with veggie mayo. There are a lot of mayo types to choose from these days. And real mayonnaise always shows up at my local 99c only Store and Dollar Tree. The prices may have increased lately, but I can still get cheap small containers of mayo at my local Dollar Tree.

I can still get cans of pineapple for around a buck. The whole pineapple comes on sale sometimes. It takes some practice to peel and core, but I do prefer fresh pineapple. For canned fruit, pineapple holds up quite well with a firm texture and pleasant citrus flavor. For this quickie recipe, I use canned pineapple.

I always find chilled bags of chopped Coleslaw mix at the99c only Store in the deli case. It is a good mix of green and purple cabbage along with the shredded carrot. You can add a little extra carrot if you like - I do if I have a carrot in the refrigerator crisper. Carrot is easy to shred.  Packages of shredded cabbage with carrots have doubled in price. 

Whole cabbage is still less than a dollar a pound so it's easy enough to just shred a quarter head of cabbage for this recipe. Whole carrots are cheap and easy to shred. 

I like a simple Coleslaw with Pineapple that's creamy with mayo. Chill it and serve it for your next family picnic or barbecue.

Easy Coleslaw with Pineapple - VIDEO       Play it here, video runs 1 minute, 53 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

Ingredients (about 4 -6 servings)

  • Cabbage and Carrot - package of 14 ounces or 6 cups (loosely packed.) Okay to shred a third head of cabbage and a couple of whole carrots.
  • Pineapple chunks (about 2 cups) - 1 can 15-ounce, drained. Okay to use pineapple rings, just slice them into bite-sized pieces. I use fresh pineapple when it's on sale (it's a bit of work to peel but the pineapple flavor is fresher.)
  • Mayo - 1/4 cup. Okay to add more to reach the desired creaminess. Add the amount of mayo that suits your taste.
  • Black Pepper to taste - optional. A whole teaspoon of black pepper. I like the extra pepper taste. Okay to add some salt, too. I find Mayo is salty enough.

*Recipes with real mayo should be kept refrigerated until ready to serve. Do not leave Coleslaw in direct sunlight.

Directions

Add shredded cabbage and carrot to a large bowl.

Drain pineapple chunks. For pineapple rings slice them into bite-sized pieces. 

I start with a 1/4 cup of mayo and mix well. Okay to add a tablespoon of mayo at a time to reach desired creaminess. 

Finally, season with pepper. Add a little at a time and taste Pineapple Coleslaw. A  teaspoon of pepper is about right. Leave out black pepper for a sweet Coleslaw. Okay to add or leave out salt -- mayo is salty enough for me.

Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. If you make it a day ahead, you may need to add a tablespoon or two of fresh mayo, to bring Pineapple Coleslaw back to its usual creaminess. Once mayo is mixed into Coleslaw it will break down a bit overnight.

Hindsight

Each day the Pineapple Coleslaw is in the refrigerator, the mayo will break down some and become watery. You can drain liquid from Coleslaw and add a tablespoon of mayo at a time, to bring back desired creaminess. 

Vegan mayo works fine. There are Coleslaws without mayo. You can just use vinegar and a little olive oil instead of mayo. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...