Monday, June 12, 2023

Huevos Rancheros with Tortilla Chips - Video Recipe

How I love Huevos Rancheros for breakfast. This Mexican-style breakfast has Tortilla Chips combined with warm eggs and tangy tomato salsa, plus cheese melted into creamy refried beans. That's a lot of flavors to start the day.

Typical Huevos Ranchers are made with soft corn tortillas, but one day I used crunchy Tortilla Chips instead, as I had plenty left over from a party the day before. 

Boy was that a great idea and now I would like to share my recipe with you. I don't know why I never thought of it before. I do like the crunchy texture Tortilla Chips bring. 

I usually keep a couple cans of Refried Beans in my pantry for making this delicious South of the Border breakfast. And it's easy enough to mash whole cooked pinto beans, too.

My Huevos Rancheros recipe is quick and easy to make. All you do is heat up some refried beans while frying a couple of eggs. You finish by pouring refried beans on Tortilla Chips, then layering on cheese and fried eggs, and finally adding sliced avocado (optional,) and salsa.

I usually make my Huevos Ranchero with white Mexican Queso Fresco cheese. It's a medium/soft and crumbly mild-tasting cheese, that is similar to feta cheese in texture but without the sour taste. 

For this quickie recipe, I use cheap American-style cheese. Use any cheese you like. 

I like my eggs fried, that is, cooked on one side long enough to get a slight crunch along the edges of the egg whites, while still keeping the yolk runny. You can make your eggs any way you like: Sunny side up, over easy, poached, or even scrambled.

Any favorite store-bought jar of salsa will do, but I do have some Homemade Salsas for you to try sometime, just scroll to Hindsight at the end of this blog post for the links.

I can get most of the ingredients at a 99c Only Store or Dollar Tree, but any grocery stocks Tortilla Chips, pinto beans, cheese, and salsa at decent prices

If you have a Latin market nearby be sure to check out their variety of Tortilla Chips, cheese, and beans. I get the best Homemade Tortilla Chips from my local Latin market, Superior Grocers. They are a couple of dollars per bag more expensive but it's worth treating yourself, sometimes.

My recipe is for one serving of Huevos Rancheros, but it's easy to double the recipe for more servings.

Setting out a plate of Huevos Rancheros with Tortilla Chips will impress any guest. It's so satisfying and a great way to start the day.

Huevos Rancheros with Torilla Chips- VIDEO                 Play it here, video runs 3 minutes, 10 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

 Ingredients (one serving - this recipe is easy to double)

  • 1 to 2 Eggs - I like 2 eggs, while my wife likes one egg. I used cheaper medium-sized eggs.
  • Refried Beans - about 3/4 cup.  Fresh made or from a can. I also like to use black beans. Adjust the refried beans amount to suit your taste and add more or less.
  • Tortilla Chips - just a handful, enough to fit under a fried egg. 
  • Salsa - any amount of your favorite salsa will do, fresh or from a jar.
  • Cheese - Mexican "queso fresco" or a favorite. Add enough to cover the refried beans. You can use cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or a cheese blend.
  • Cooking Oil - 2 tablespoons, enough to fry eggs, and heat refried beans.
  • Salt and Pepper - to taste. I don't add salt to canned beans as I find them salty enough.
  • Avocado - a few slices. Optional.

Directions

If salsa is stored in the refrigerator, reserve a serving amount from the jar and let the salsa reach room temperature.

For canned or homemade refried beans heat them up, even in the microwave. I microwave in 20-second increments until hot. Make sure to cover beans as they will splatter. You can just heat canned refried beans in a pot or pan, too.

Look to my Hindsight text at the end of this blog for directions and links to make Homemade Refried Beans.

Whole canned pinto beans are easily turned into Refried Beans. Just add beans with some broth to a pan and mash with a fork. Add a tablespoon of bean broth at a time to reach the desired creaminess.

Use your favorite method of frying eggs. I like mine sunny side up, but you can make them over easy, or even scrambled. I season eggs with salt and pepper, but not the beans. When eggs are done, it's time to bring it all together.

On a plate add Tortilla Chips and spread on hot refried beans. Add cheese and slide on the cooked eggs. 

Finally, top with your favorite salsa and slices of avocado. And, don't forget the hot sauce!

Hindsight

I have a Homemade Mexican Beans recipe and Refried Beans, just click here.

To make refried beans from whole cooked pinto beans, heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan or pot over medium heat and add them to the heating pan along with a tablespoon or two of bean broth. 

Mash beans with a fork or potato masher until they reach your desired creaminess.

It only took me a couple of minutes to heat through and mash. Set aside, or keep on the lowest heat. Add bean broth as needed to keep refried beans moist. (If you mash a lot of beans, then just store extra in the freezer - refried beans freeze and defrost perfectly.)

Refried pinto beans are typical for Huevos Ranchos, but mashed and refried black beans are just as delicious.

You can use any favorite cheese you have on hand. And add as much as you like. You can make this dish with one fried egg or two.

If the salsa topping is from the refrigerator make sure to allow it to reach room temperature. You can also zap salsa in the microwave in 15-second increments, but make sure to cover the heating bowl, as tomato pieces will splatter when hot!

I have a bunch of Salsa Recipes, just click on any name to view: tangy Roasted Salsa Verde (tomatillo,) Red Chili (2 dried types - but the same recipe,) Pico de Gallo, and Mango Salsa.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...