Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Pretzel Egg Sandwich - Recipe

When I'm groggy in the morning and coffee is working too slowly, I don't want to think about breakfast too much so I'll make a simple Fried Egg Sandwich, especially when I find Pretzel buns cheaply.

Just get the egg to fry, pop a sliced Pretzel bun in the toaster, and get out the mayo. Sometimes I'll stop there...that's enough for a Pretzel Egg Sandwich. If I have a tomato then I'll slice off some and if I have lettuce then that's added too. You can make your own Egg Sandwich any way you like.

I used to have the small salty and crunchy Pretzels from the bowl or a bag when it was Happy Hour. Fresh-cooked hard-shelled (but soft interior) Pretzels smeared with mustard from Shopping Mall kiosks or County Fair fare were how I was first introduced to Pretzels as bread. They remind me of a bagel.

 You can read about the difference between a Pretzel and a Bagel here. The Pennsylvania Dutch popularized them. I now see Pretzel Buns for hot dogs and burgers at regular grocery stores. 

Lately, I fry my eggs so the sandwich can be a bit messy with yolk spilling out, but I do like a raw semi-cooked yummy yolk. If you prefer scrambled eggs then go for it.

It's a bummer how much eggs have come up in price, I used to get a dozen for 99 cents, but now at my local Dollar Tree I get 6 eggs for a buck twenty-five. And lately, I've not seen them...hmmm I wonder when they will return? But a one-egg sandwich is still a cheap way to start your day. 

If your grocer has a bakery then look for day-old bread. My Ralphs chain grocers have a "bargain bin" and I'm always on the lookout for bread deals. 

I've got everything from grainy Mill Bread to pungent Marble Rye. But, when Pretzel buns showed up I pounced! 

Now, it's not fresh so it doesn't hold up to just slicing it for a sandwich as day-old bread is not soft, so I always toast the bread. Day-old bread holds up really well as toast - you can't tell the difference with fresh bread that's toasted.

I like mayo on my Egg Sandwich. I still get mayonnaise cheaply at my local Dollar Tree. I can get tomatoes and lettuce on sale at regular grocers, especially at my local Latin market.

Start your day with my Fried Egg Sandwich -- it's so good and goes down perfectly with coffee or hot tea.

Pretzel Breakfast Sandwich - Video               Play it here, the video runs 1 minute, 36 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

Ingredients

  • 1 egg - fried or scrambled to your taste. 
  • 2 slices of bread - I like to toast mine. Okay to use a bagel, croissant, or any favorite bread you like and find on sale.
  • Tomato slice - I like cherry tomatoes too.
  • Lettuce leaf - kale or spinach are tasty additions.
  • Veggie oil - 1 teaspoon for frying egg.
  • Salt and pepper to taste - for the fried or scrambled egg.

Directions

You know how to fry an egg, right? I heat the pan, add some oil, and break the egg into the pan.

 

I don't move the egg at all. I just let it cook until the whites are solid, usually about 3 minutes, depending on the heat of the frying pan. If you like your yolks semi-done then you may have to flip the egg to cook the yolk a bit - be careful as that is when the yolk can break.

It's okay to scramble the egg if that's how you like it. 

When the egg is halfway done, I'll start toasting the bread. I'll also slice the tomato and wash off the lettuce leaf. 

When the egg is done and the bread is toasted assemble the sandwich. As I mentioned above I like tomato, lettuce, and mayo on my sandwich, it's okay to add any condiment you like or none at all.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...