Friday, January 12, 2024

Best Cheap$kate Food Finds of 2023

It's back to basics in this roundup of my Best Cheap$kate Food Finds of 2023. That doesn't mean you won't find a few outrageously one-of-a-kind cheap deals that I crow about. Prices are slowly going down this year. So go ahead and read 'em and reap (the savings, that is!).

I scour grocer mail flyers for weekly specials at chain grocery store Ralphs, especially during holidays when I stock up on for-sale meat to freeze, and visit my local Latin Market for cheaper produce like avocados, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and fresh Salsa. 

I luckily have a Dollar Tree within walking distance and a 99c only Store a short drive away. It's not easy being a cheap$kate, I do work at it and enjoy sharing my frugal finds with you, and maybe giving my visitors a few recipe ideas using everyday discount food.

And be sure to click on any highlighted recipe name to see the original tasty blog post recipe.

Let's start with Breakfast. I still get 6 eggs for $1.25 at Dollar Tree, although they do not show up every month, but when they do I grab a few cartons.

I like to add fruit to pancake batter when I grill them. Click here to see how I do it.

Most yogurt with added fruit is way too sugary to my taste. Try adding fresh sliced fruit to plain yogurt like I do here.

Breakfast Sausage is the main ingredient for my food coma-inducing Country Breakfast with Cream Gravy.

I do like a plain buttery Croissant in the morning. I still get 4 Croissants for about a dollar or two from the Bargain Bin (week-old bread) at my local supermarket RalphsClick here to see how I sometimes load it with eggs, ham, and cheese. 


I like to cook Italian Pasta, Asian Stir fry, and Mexican Tacos with Salsa. Dollar stores may not carry everything but they have many ingredients I keep a lookout for.



Some Mexican Food Deals

Pinto and Black Beans are the stars of my most delicious Huevos Rancheros Breakfast. You can even use canned beans instead of fresh made.


A Chinese-style Stir Fry is a favorite of mine. It's quick to do and only takes a few cheap$kate ingredients to pull it together.


I still found good veggie and fruit deals in 2023. Potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and apples are around a dollar a pound when on sale (at least here in Los Angeles.) So listen to your Mom and eat your all veggies and fruit!


This is the main ingredient for Pumpkin Pie -- click here to see how my Mom makes hers.



Chicken is still the cheapest meat. Pork is a close second and Corned Beef is around $3 per pound during the week leading up to St. Patrick's Day. 


November and December are the months I buy turkey at it's cheapest. I have a basic Roast Turkey Recipe here, but check out my Latin version using turkey legs (or any pieces) for a Turkey Carnitas. It's a succulent take using Coke and Mexican spices. Throw a Turkey Taco Party during the holidays!


I always buy 3 or 4 whole Corned Beef around St. Patrick's Day to freeze. I make an Easy Homemade Pastrami during summer patio parties. I also make a mean Corned Beef and Cabbage, too.


I toast my bread when I make a sandwich, mainly because I buy day (week) old bread from the bargain bin at my local Ralphs Grocer.


I've been making recipes with Cream Cheese lately. Check out my recipes of Bagel with Salmon and Cream Cheese, Bacon Wrapped Dates with Cream Cheese, Clam Dip made with cheap canned clams, a warm Articoke with Cream Cheese Dip, and perhaps the most outré entree of my invention, a Jewish taco called The Loxaco.


Are you ready to revisit a childhood school lunch specialty, Fried Baloney Sandwich? Well, I don't blame you if you give this recipe a pass, but I had to try it again...oh boy, check it out here.


You're never too old for Hot Dogs! Well, I should be at 69 years old. Oh, what the heck, I'm going out swinging when I watch the Boys of Summer hit home runs and steal bases during baseball season. Hot Dogs seem to be inflation-proof. I like mine with sauerkraut and chili from the can, how about you?


Here are a few odds and ends.


I use boxed stuffing for my basic Turkey Stuffing recipe. I do add extra ingredients and even came up with a wild Stuffing Cupcakes with Cranberry Frosting Recipe.


The cheapest wine I found in 2023.

Whew, that's a lot to digest, how about a reward of ice cream? I found a few tasty treats just for you.


Keep checking back for my great cheap$kate finds in the new year.
Happy bargain hunting in 2024!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...