Sunday, September 18, 2022

Ceviche (Avocado, Tomato, Black Beans & Krab) - Video Recipe

A cool dish for a hot day is the 99 Cent Chef's Krab Ceviche with black beans, Krab, cucumber, avocado, tomato, onion, and cilantro. Check out my recipe video further down and see how easy and quick it is to make -- and there is no cooking involved!

There are a hundred variations of Ceviche (my own version is here) and I've tried quite a few - from bland American "Acapulco" chain restaurant style with semi-frozen shrimp; or L.A. San Fernando Valley taco truck "lime-cooked" minced fish and chopped onion on a crispy tostada round; to a just-across-the-border scary Tijuana fresh clam ceviche from a local street vendor using "cleaned" clams with juice, chopped onion, lime, and plain ketchup with Salsa Picante - it's actually quite delicious when chased with a cold Corona.

Local Latin markets will carry most Ceviche ingredients. I get onion, cucumber, and cilantro for less than a buck each.

Seafood is expensive so I keep a lookout for sales on imitation crab, or Krab, often for about $1.99 per pound when on sale.

I find small 8-ounce packages of Krab at my local 99c only Store every once in a while. I pick up a few as they freeze well. 

This Budget Chef is a fan of imitation crab or Krab, also known as Surimi (first developed in Japan.) It is firm and shreds easily. Krab is made from fish that is cooked, reformed, and flavored to taste and look like boiled King Crab leg meat. When I shred the Krab I like to leave some bigger pieces in the mix. 

I know that some will not eat Krab because it is cheap and man-made. I've noticed Krab as an ingredient in most supermarket sushi cold cases that carry a California Roll. I have my own California Roll recipe a click away, here.

Other Latin market ingredients all cost well under 99 cents a pound or 99 cents each.  99c only Stores and the Dollar Tree stock canned black beans and tortilla chips.

I bulk up my Krab Ceviche adding black beans and cucumber. The cucumber brings an extra cool crunch and black beans add extra protein and texture (for a vegetarian version leave out the Krab.) You can use any drained canned bean you like including pinto beans. And canned beans are cheap, of course.

Classic Ceviches use lime-cooked shrimp or fish. You drench the seafood in lime juice and let it set in the refrigerator overnight or for a few hours, depending on how "cooked" you like your seafood. Lime juice will firm up the fish and turn the soft shrimp and fish from clear pink to a firm white.

It is important to add lime or lemon juice to a Ceviche with avocado so it stays green. Chopped avocado will eventually turn brown on the edges so it is best to eat the Ceviche in a day or two. I've also made the Ceviche without avocado. 

Also, make sure to drain and rinse the canned beans as the juice will make the Ceviche mushy in appearance and have an overwhelming bean flavor.

So sharpen your knife and chop up a cool Krab Ceviche. It's great for a patio party and travels well to serve as an appetizer...if your friends can handle the Krab.

I often add more Krab than 8 ounces as I list below. You may not like onion, cucumber, tomato, or cilantro, so it's okay to reduce the amounts to suit your taste. 

Krab Ceviche - Video

Play it here, video runs 3 minutes, 58 seconds.

My YouTube video link for viewing or embedding, just click here.

Ingredients (serves 2-4)

  • 8 ounces to 1 pound of Krab - It's up to you how much to add. Sometimes I add a lot of imitation crab and other times not so much.
  • 1 chopped onion - any color. I like a red onion when I'm out to impress.
  • 2 cups chopped tomato - About 2 large tomatoes.
  • 1 cucumber - scoop out seeds and chop. Sometimes I will peel half of the cucumber as the skin can be too bitter.
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro  - chopped. Add as much or as little as you like. 
  • 15 oz. can of black beans - rinse & drain.
  • Juice of 1 Lime or Lemon.
  • Large avocado or 2 to 3 small - chopped.
  • 1/2 jalapeno chopped (raw or pickled) - optional. Add a little at a time to reach the desired hotness.
  • Tortilla Chips - when I want to impress, my local Latin market carries bags of freshly made chips and they are the best!
  • Tostadas -  for an autentic taco truck-style Seafood Tostada.

Directions

First, rinse black beans and drain away any liquid (if the juice from the can remains, it will dull the bright colors and make the ceviche mushy.) 

Shred Krab into bite sizes. I like a few larger pieces so you know what's in the Ceviche.

I hope your knife is sharp -- this recipe involves a lot of chopping. 

Chop tomato and onion. Roughly chop cilantro. 

For a jalapeño remove the seeds and white membrane. Chop 1/4 of jalapeño into small pieces. Be careful handling it and don't touch your face as it can burn your eyes easily - wash hands with soap after handling a jalapeño.

I like to remove seeds from cucumber. Slice it in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. I usually peel half the cucumber as the skin can be bitter.

In a large bowl combine Krab, beans, cilantro, chopped veggies, and avocado.

Add lime or lemon juice. Mix it all together. 

Chill Ceviche for a couple of hours, if you can resist dipping in. This is a great patio party dish on a hot day. Serve with tortilla chips, hot sauce, and ice-cold Cerveza. If you have access to tostada rounds then pile on the Ceviche and make a taco truck-style Seafood Tostada.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...