Saturday, October 1, 2022

World Vegetarian Day

I have too many World Vegetarian Day recipes to list right here, so it's best to enter the words "vegan" or "vegetarian" in the "Search" window on the right side of the top area of my food blog to see them all. If you have a favorite vegetable or fruit you can enter that name in the same window, too.

Any way you cut it, there is a lot to choose from and I think you will like my delicious inexpensive recipes listed below. Read on and click on any highlighted name to be directed to the original recipe on this food website.

Some of my vegetarian recipes include butter, milk, cheese, and yogurt. All those ingredients are cheaply substituted with vegetable oils, almond milk (also oat, soy, hemp, etc.,) or soy and oat yogurts. New substitutions for meat and dairy are arriving in grocery stores every year.

Click on any photo to see larger.

I'll start with a recipe that requires some mashing and a toaster, Avocado Toast. A soft, ripe avocado served simply with toast is easy and quick to do. I get my bread from the discount bin at my local big-chain grocer and avocado from my local Latin market. Avocado Toast has moved beyond trendy to just plain normal.


Everyone likes Mashed Potatoes and I do too. Nothing to this recipe really, and it will taste just as good with a milk substitute. I like a lot of fresh ground black pepper in mine.


I like veggies prepared simply like fresh Boiled Corn or Sauteed Yellow Squash with onion and garlic.


Sauteed Green Beans with Almonds are a colorful dish with crunch.

Grilling or roasting veggies are a favorite of mine. Roasted Brussels Sprouts become tender and almost nutty in flavor. I add a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper before roasting.

You can almost grill any veggie including Bell Pepper, Zucchini, and Sweet Potatoes and I've done them all, just click on a veggie name above to see how I do it.

Beans are part of my next recipe list. I eat them every week. I slow-cook them but you can speed things up if you have a pressure cooker. I do like having the long-simmering smell of legumes as they tenderize.

In Louisiana, Cajuns like their Red Beans with white rice. I have a dear friend who has a great veggie version. I got her to show me how she does it and I'll share her recipe with you. Check out our fun time together in the kitchen making Ms. Patti's Red Beans and Rice recipe.

White Beans are also on the menu in Cajun Restaurants and local fast-food joints. I make mine with a lot of veggies including carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and herbs. Check out my Vegetarian White Beans recipe video.


I was raised on Tex-Mex-style Pinto Beans. We had them with Mexican Rice and flour tortillas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. usually with meat, seafood, or eggs. But lately, I've been having beans with brown or white rice and a big shake of hot sauce. Check out my Homemade Mexican Pinto Beans video to see how I make them.

My next favorite bean recipe is Cuban-style Black Beans. I've been making this recipe the most, lately. It is a favorite of my wife, Linda. The main flavoring is a sweet and sour addition of a little sugar and vinegar. This yin and yang pull of flavors really makes this recipe especially delicious. I also add bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Again it is an easy recipe that I think will make it to the top of your favorites list?

Fried Plantains and Yucca are a delicious duo to serve with my Black Beans recipe. 

Canned Beans now come organic and vegan. Drain them and make a no-fuss Warm 3 Bean Salad adding some fresh herbs, chopped onion, tomato, and a little oil and vinegar. Mash Pinto Beans with some of the broth and you have quickie Refried Beans.

By the way, I'm a big fan of Soy Chorizo as a pungent and spicy ground meat substitution. Saute and add it to Refried Beans and Mexican Rice for a Burrito.

I have a slew of Salsas to try including Ancho Chili,  Mango, Tomatillo, and Red Chili. Click on any recipe name to see the original blog post text and photo illustrations. 

I've been making fruit-based Salsas recently including Peach, Mango, and Kiwi Salsas. They are sweet, cool, and spicy. I brought my Mango Salsa to a few parties and it is always a hit and goes very fast.

Soups and veggies blend well together. French Onion Soup uses caramelized onions as the main ingredient. It is served with melted cheese on top that you can leave out, it's rich enough. Earthy and pungent Mushrooms make some of the best soups. You can use cream, but any fave milk substitute works fine.

A Mexican soup loaded with veggies is called Calabasitas. It is made with corn, squash or zucchini, tomato, and chiles. It is finished with cheese that you can leave out to keep it vegan. 

How I love the tomato. I try to grow them unfortunately with limited success. Whether store-bought or homegrown, tomatoes are the central ingredient in the next list of recipes.

Gazpacho is an Italian soup made with blended fresh veggies and herbs -- no cooking needed, just a blender to puree. It's comprised mainly of fresh tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic, and herbs. It's so refreshing and quick to do.

Bruschetta is a crunchy appetizer served on toast. It's an Italian version of Mexican salsa and tortilla chips. Made with fresh chopped tomato, basil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil, it's simply delicious.

You can buy veggie Marinara Sauce in a can or jar cheaply and I have cooked with my share. But I prefer to start with canned tomato sauce and add my own garlic, onion, and fresh herbs. It doesn't take that much longer to do, just a bit of chopping and sauteing. Homemade Marinara Sauce seems lighter to me and less salty. 

Pasta and veggies are a great combination. You can start with a simple warm Rustic Tomato Sauce over your favorite pasta, or chill out with Peas, Artichoke Hearts, Broccoli, and Wheat Pasta

How about Brussels Sprouts or Kale with Pasta? I use butter but you can substitute it with olive oil or any favorite veggie oil. For a bit of crunch heat up your favorite nut like Cashews, mix with a little garlic, and heat in olive oil and you have a rich Cashew and Garlic Pasta.

Steam any favorite veggies and mix them with macaroni or any tube and short-cut pasta for a versatile Veggie Pasta Salad, and it keeps in the refrigerator to serve cold, too. 

My Cajun nephew Zak has some serious cooking chops and came up with a wild Cajun Tuscan Premivera Pasta. Again butter is used that can be substituted with olive oil, but you cannot replace the Cajun Seasonings, or you have to call it something else!

I worked in the Biz so you know I have a Cinema-inspired dish called  John Cassavetes Red Pepper, Olive Oil, Garlic, and Pasta. Cassavetes the director has influenced my more, shall we say, rough and tumble videos that are loose and simply presented - no fancy stuff, just like my recipe mentioned above.

Fruit + salad is a refreshing combination. Try out my Pear and Spinach Salad with Creamy Herb Dressing. I use milk and yogurt, but you know they are easily swapped out, right? I actually like Almond Milk and yogurt made with oats.

My Watermelon, Mango & Spinach Salad needs no substitutions as the vinegarette is simply veggie oil and lemon or lime juice. It is a perfect summer salad.

Warm Corn, Tomato & Cilantro Salad is made with frozen corn. You could use drained canned corn too. It is a salad served at room temperature. Kick it up a notch and use fresh corn.

My Veggie Wrap with Homemade Hummus is a salad in a wheat tortilla or stuffed into pita bread.

Potato Salad is a summer staple and my recipe is one you will like no matter what part of the country you live in. I have Mom's Cajun Potato Salad version for your viewing pleasure below.


I make an Easy Coleslaw throughout the summer as it's so easy to buy a package of precut cabbage with carrots. 

Mix in a bit of veggie mayo and it's ready to serve. I have a tasty, sweet, Pineapple Coleslaw, too!


I even dined in a Local Nursery one time...only in the service of showing their tasty selection of fresh fruit trees and tomato plants.

Vegan Sushi? Sure why not. The trick is to prepare the veggies in a simmering broth of soy sauce, and wine (mirin, or saki). My Carrot and Portabella Mushroom Sushi are perfect examples. I also have a Sushi Rice recipe, here.

I often start my day with Yogurt and Fruit. Buy local and seasonal fruit when it is most flavorful and cheapest in price.

It couldn't be quicker and easier than slicing a banana or mixing in some Blueberries or Strawberries. 

I'm a big fan of Chinese Stir Fry, everything from Veggies to Fried Rice. The basic ingredients use soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, ginger, and garlic. I like to stir fry Bok Choy which tastes like cabbage only milder. You can stir fry Broccoli, Cauliflower, and any favorite veggie you like.

A basic rice Stir Fry is made with cooked rice that has been chilled for a few hours or overnight so it can hold up to frying, otherwise, freshly steamed rice will get too mushy. I quickly make my Stir Fry with a medley of frozen veggies like a package of peas and carrots.


Eggs are often part of a rice-based Stir Fry, but you will not miss them really. Crumble in some tofu as a tasty substitution or slice a block of tofu into larger chunks and make tofu the main ingredient. 


You can also use cheap dried ramen noodles. Just cook them according to the package directions. Drain and add them to a hot pan or wok and stir fry them like you would with cooked rice. I made Tofu with Snow Peas Stir Fry this way.


I like how Korean restaurants have a medley of veggie small-bites or Banchan. A favorite is a sweet Cucumber Salad


 Keep checking back as I am always adding fresh vegetable and vegan recipes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...